Lenovo q150 as HTPC - 60hz or 120hz setting - automatic?

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I have a 120hz TV and I just got the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150. The manual says to set the refresh rate of my TV to 60hz to avoid damage to the TV. I have a Denon receiver that I'd like to run the Lenovo through, so I can get surround.

Do I REALLY need to set the TV hz down to 60? I know in Windows, you set the refresh / hz rate in monitor settings. Will this automatically set my TV refresh rate to the correct rate, or do I need to set this on the TV?

Anyone ran into this question / issue before? Any advice would be helpful; google wasn't much help.

Solution
If you have the Lenovo set to output 60Hz and your TV is in 120Hz mode all it will do is show the same frame 2x every 1/60th of a second.

I don't believe the refresh rate settings in Windows can affect your TV like they would a monitor.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding anyway. For instance, ATSC TV is typically broadcast at 60Hz and your TV would be doubling that at 120Hz. If your source is 24Hz (say a blu-ray from a film) it would quintuple it (show the same frame 5x) to get to 120Hz.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
If you have the Lenovo set to output 60Hz and your TV is in 120Hz mode all it will do is show the same frame 2x every 1/60th of a second.

I don't believe the refresh rate settings in Windows can affect your TV like they would a monitor.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding anyway. For instance, ATSC TV is typically broadcast at 60Hz and your TV would be doubling that at 120Hz. If your source is 24Hz (say a blu-ray from a film) it would quintuple it (show the same frame 5x) to get to 120Hz.

Solution