Sign in with
Your question

Memmory upgrade

Last response: in Memory
December 17, 2011 10:30:41 PM

Hello all,

Would like some feedback on memory upgrade for the computer of mine. I would like more 12GB.I currently have 6Gb of crucial ballistics 1600 DDR3 triple channel. Memory is so cheap and I have about $65 USD to spend.So here my specs and some newegg links.Any recommendation are greatly welcome.

core i7975 extreme
asus sabertooth x58 MB
6GB crucal ballistics ram DDR3 triple channel
EVGA 1280MB 470
samsung spinpoit F3
antec 50 TR PSu
windows 7 64

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : memmory upgrade

a b } Memory
December 18, 2011 3:35:59 AM

From that link you have posted it looks like you want to get a complete new set of 12gb. You can get another 6gb of the same ram that you have and put it in. All you have to do is match the speed (1066 , 1333, 1600) and the timings( 9-9-9-24 , 8-8-8-24) and it will work , but you have to have the same exact type and it doesn't have to be the same brand just the same settings.

Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 999005
$64.99

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 999002
$64.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
$59.99

If you do go with a complete set any one of these will be better than the one you listed.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 18, 2011 4:38:28 AM

What the above poster said isn't really right. Mixing RAM kits that seem identical is not guaranteed to work. Even using two sets of the same kit can inexplicably fail although it is less likely to. If you do mix two different kits timings and clock rates are not the only things that should be matched up.

RAM can be extremely fickle, sometimes for seemingly no reason.
Your best chance of success would be to use a single kit with enough capacity for you that us in your motherboards QVL list. None of this means you will fail without doing this just that is is much more likely to fail.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 1:08:58 AM

Thanks to both replies.I'm going with a new 12GB kit for sure.My main question was the brand.The Crucial brand has served me well,but its just a little to much.I read the builds section and see many builds with GSILL RAM.The Huskin RAM has very good reviws.

I posted the wrong link to the GSILL RAM. It was the 1600mhz stuff.

Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive
m
l
a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 3:53:40 AM

blazorthon said:
What the above poster said isn't really right. Mixing RAM kits that seem identical is not guaranteed to work. Even using two sets of the same kit can inexplicably fail although it is less likely to. If you do mix two different kits timings and clock rates are not the only things that should be matched up.

Your best chance of success would be to use a single kit with enough capacity for you that us in your motherboards QVL list. None of this means you will fail without doing this just that is is much more likely to fail.

I don't post a response to a question unless I am confident the what I say is correct and I do have personal experience with putting two sets together and it working.If you make sure that they are matching sets then they will work together , it's those people who don't check the settings thoroughly that come up with it not working and blame it on it being different brands or different sets.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 10:13:13 AM

inzone said:
I don't post a response to a question unless I am confident the what I say is correct and I do have personal experience with putting two sets together and it working.If you make sure that they are matching sets then they will work together , it's those people who don't check the settings thoroughly that come up with it not working and blame it on it being different brands or different sets.

That is wrong because sometimes RAM kits refuse to work together even though they are identical. it is less common for identical kits to work together than different kits with identical logic/ settings or different kits with different logic/settings but it can and does happen.
m
l
December 19, 2011 10:44:35 AM

If you do mix two different kits timings and clock rates are not the only things that should be matched up.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 11:16:18 AM

I also have personal experience putting different RAM kits together and it working even though they had different logic/settings but I have had identical RAM kits not work regardless of what I tried to get them to work. There is no way of knowing if the RAM will work before you install it and power the computer on.
m
l
December 19, 2011 12:27:59 PM

blazorthon said:

I did as you suggested about the Mb QVL.There are many brands supported but in the 1600mhz speed there is only one 12GB kit shown.

I have never used kingston RAM.But the reviews are pretty good.

I conntacted GSKILL and ask them for a RAM recomendation and there sugesting this.

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=265

Never used it either but many recomend it on toms new build secyion.

I do understand the RAM being fickle,as I purchased some OCZ in the past for a RAM upgrade on another pc.All I had was blue screens.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 1:09:11 PM

I personally prefer G.Skill but the Kingston kit is on the QVL and is lower profile. On Newegg.com both kits are the same price and either kit should work (especially if the G.Skill was recommended regardless of it being on the QVL). Considering that there are obvious differences between the two kits mixing them would be a mistake but alone they should be fine.

newegg.com link to the G.Skill kit:

The G.Skill has triple the user ratings on Newegg of the Kingston kit and the G.Skill set has an average of 5/5 while the Kingston only has an average rating of 4/5 so the G.Skill seems to be better. The G.Skill also has slightly better latency timings (9-9-9-24 vs 9-9-9-27) but admittedly that is a much less important factor.

The G.Skill also has a lower voltage (1.65 for the Kingston, 1.5 for G.Skill) and that is more important than the lower latency.
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:59:36 PM

So one last question here. The main reason for the upgrade is the price of RAM today. But I'n pretty sure its also a good prefomance boost also, over the 6GB I already have.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 5:21:12 PM

Not to rain on your parade but unless you are working with applications that require huge amounts of ram you are not going to utilize anything over 6gb. There are currently no games that take advantage of more than 6gb. You certianly can get 12gb , put it in and it will work in your system but it will not make your system faster because you have 12gb of ram.
What will make a difference is to put in 6gb of higher speed and better timings than what you currently have. So if you have 1600mhz then put in 1866 or higher or if you have 1600nhz and 9-9-9-24 then put in 1600mhz and 8-8-8-24 , these are the things that will make a difference in the performance of your computer. You can also overclock the ram and use different timings and speed , so you could take the ram you have now and overclock it to see what better performance you can get out of it and how much of a difference it will make if you decide to get newer ram.
With the motherboard that you have it will be very easy to change the settings of the ram , Asus has very good overclocking features on thier boards so if you did get a new set of ram even if you went with the 12gb , you could change the speed or timings right in the bios. There is a feature in the Extreme Tweaker menu called memory level up and you could select the XMP Profile if it is available or another memory setting and the MB will change the settings automaticly and it's not permanent you can always change it back.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:59:11 PM

Thanks for all the great help and info.I should have asked for the performance question first.I read mixed opinions about more RAM,and just wanted to know for sure.I suppose I will save up for a better GPU instead.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 20, 2011 1:10:57 AM

inzone said:
Not to rain on your parade but unless you are working with applications that require huge amounts of ram you are not going to utilize anything over 6gb. There are currently no games that take advantage of more than 6gb. You certianly can get 12gb , put it in and it will work in your system but it will not make your system faster because you have 12gb of ram.
What will make a difference is to put in 6gb of higher speed and better timings than what you currently have. So if you have 1600mhz then put in 1866 or higher or if you have 1600nhz and 9-9-9-24 then put in 1600mhz and 8-8-8-24 , these are the things that will make a difference in the performance of your computer. You can also overclock the ram and use different timings and speed , so you could take the ram you have now and overclock it to see what better performance you can get out of it and how much of a difference it will make if you decide to get newer ram.
With the motherboard that you have it will be very easy to change the settings of the ram , Asus has very good overclocking features on thier boards so if you did get a new set of ram even if you went with the 12gb , you could change the speed or timings right in the bios. There is a feature in the Extreme Tweaker menu called memory level up and you could select the XMP Profile if it is available or another memory setting and the MB will change the settings automaticly and it's not permanent you can always change it back.

Not to rain on your parade but using RAM of a slightly higher bandwidth or latency won't make a difference in performance except for certain applications (in which gaming is NOT included) and even for those applications you would ned a more significant change in latency timings and/or bandwidth.

The only time RAM performance has a direct performance impact on gaming is when you are also running applications that utilize enough bandwidth combined with the bandwidth used by the game you are playing to start breaching the bandwidth of your memory. There is one exception to this and that is people whom use Llano processors in their system and in that case latency still isn't very important unlike bandwidth. By unimportant I mean you would only get a 1FPS increase for every 1 to three integers you lose in the timings, depending on the current frequency (Obviously higher frequencies should need a smaller latency decrease to get that 1FPS increase).

Even if you got 2133MHz 7-7-7-21 timings you really wouldn't notice an improvement in gaming because memory bandwidth is not a bottleneck for any games. If you ran bandwidth-intensive programs such as compressing or decompressing large files while you palyed a game there is a slight chance of you noticing a problem but I find it unlikely. I am not a heavy gamer but I do game occaisionally and I usually do it to pass the time while other work is being done (usually decompression of very large files) and I do not notice a problem with my 1600MHz CL11 memory and I'm fairly sensitive so I doubt you even noticing problems with 1600MHz CL9 memory.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 20, 2011 1:24:26 AM

I recommend 12GB of RAM because better RAM has little to no impact on gaming, unlike more RAM. Even if you are running one or two light programs and have a web browser open as you play a game you shouldn't notice any performance decrease related to the RAM bandwidth or timings.

If you have internet-heavy web pages open and you are using an internet-heavy game you might notice problems or if you have a compression program (or anything else that uses significant memory bandwidth, such applications are few) then you might notice a performance impact but either case is unlikely and would still be helped by having more RAM anyway because a game and some programs can use more than 6GB of RAM together.

I personally have 16GB but I admit I am neither a heavy gamer anymore and use it for other purposes. The next step above 12GB for your system would be 24GB but I would think 24GB to be very excessive for a gaming machine and/or common use machine.

If you had a dual-channel motherboard for gaming then I would have recommend 8GB but since you don't 12GB is what I recommend.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 20, 2011 2:11:42 AM

1600MHz RAM is recommended nowadays because it is similar in price to 1333MHz (sometimes cheaper) and provides a slight performance boost in many applications and a noticable performance boost in a few applications. Compression/decompression is the only type of program I have proven through benchmarking to be substantially effected by faster RAM but I have been told that rendering is also memory bandwidth-bottlenecked.
m
l
!