3D VGAPlanets successor

Hello.
We are developing a VGAPlanets-like 3D game. It is in beta-stage now, so we
start a large-scale beta testing. If you have a free time and a wish, join
test games at http://galaxy3d.com.ua .
Galaxy3D team.

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Maxim Tugai wrote:
> Hello.
> We are developing a VGAPlanets-like 3D game. It is in beta-stage now, so we
> start a large-scale beta testing. If you have a free time and a wish, join
> test games at http://galaxy3d.com.ua .
> Galaxy3D team.

I would really LOVE to test your fantastic new planets clone, but
unfortunately you have chosen the wrong platform for the majority of
windows users. Java gives me the shits, even the simple java menue at
battlestarcommand clogs up my computer. I even TRIED to run your
wonderful java application, but of course, it fails.
Maybe that Java rubbish makes you and your sovjet hacker friends happy
(they are tim's special friends, aren't they? ;)) because they can run
it on their modded x-boxes, but java is not for the masses. There is a
java client out there (Keros?), but I don't really think anyone is using it.

Matthias

Can you describe the error which prevents you from running game client?
Majority of our users play on Windows and do not have troubles.
Please, describe version of java you use, version of Windows, CPU
and amount of RAM.
Some of our users have a troubles, trying to run game client on old
version of java, or, second case, they installed Java3D before java.
Maxim.

Matthias wrote:

> I would really LOVE to test your fantastic new planets clone, but
> unfortunately you have chosen the wrong platform for the majority of
> windows users. Java gives me the shits, even the simple java menue at
> battlestarcommand clogs up my computer. I even TRIED to run your
> wonderful java application, but of course, it fails.
> Maybe that Java rubbish makes you and your sovjet hacker friends happy
> (they are tim's special friends, aren't they? ;)) because they can run
> it on their modded x-boxes, but java is not for the masses. There is a
> java client out there (Keros?), but I don't really think anyone is using
> it.
>
> Matthias

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Maxim Tugai wrote:
> Can you describe the error which prevents you from running game client?
> Majority of our users play on Windows and do not have troubles.
> Please, describe version of java you use, version of Windows, CPU
> and amount of RAM.
> Some of our users have a troubles, trying to run game client on old
> version of java, or, second case, they installed Java3D before java.
> Maxim.

I was missing the 3D library. Now everything runs fine and i am waiting
for two more players to join testgame _008.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Matthias

PS: You are nearly as polite as I am during my day-job. You guys must be
serious about trying to lure players away from VPL :)

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Maxim Tugai wrote:
> Hello.
> We are developing a VGAPlanets-like 3D game. It is in beta-stage now, so we
> start a large-scale beta testing. If you have a free time and a wish, join
> test games at http://galaxy3d.com.ua .
> Galaxy3D team.

Hello Maxim,

The client runs smoothly on my System (1Ghz Thunderbird, 256 mb Ram,
Windows XP), but takes a couple of seconds to load.
The GUI is decent (of course way better than anything I could have come
up with), but I am missing my nice custom BMPs from Winplan, where I
knew from one look what ship type it was.
What caused me some grief is that ingame messages (even in the time when
no host run is) are sent to my emailadress without prior notification
that this would be the case.
Another turnoff for me is the 3D map. IMHO this was done, because it
could be done (like so many options in PHost). It has no practical value
, unless, of course, if you claim "being more realistic" is the sine qua
non for a turn-based, oversimplified space combat-game...
I am at a total loss where to turn to, where my stars or ships are and
how to get to places.
Only trying to imagine how to make pinpoint hyperjumps makes my head
spin - do I have to jump onto the circle where the spheres meet?

IMHO your time and energy would have been spent more wisely on writing a
kickass planets client and some nice addons.

Matthias