Bad Display on my NEC Versa, inverter or bulb?? pic

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 3, 2005 8:20:59 PM

Hi All,

Would some kind soul have a look at the pic of Nec (url below)
and tell me what the problem is, as you can see the text from the
top seems to run on down to the bottom of the display.
any ideas?

would it be the bulb or the inverter or a loose connection?

Are these easy to replace?

Thx in advance
Phil

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2014p5
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 8:21:00 PM

Cookie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Would some kind soul have a look at the pic of Nec (url below)
> and tell me what the problem is, as you can see the text from the
> top seems to run on down to the bottom of the display.
> any ideas?
>
> would it be the bulb or the inverter or a loose connection?
>
> Are these easy to replace?
>
> Thx in advance
> Phil
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2014p5

Neither bulb nor inverter. The refresh rate is not correct (60hz), the
default monitor is not correct (laptop display panel), or the video chip
has failed (likely). Boot to safe mode, see if the default VGA works.
Remove the display adapter (you might have to toggle View hidden
devices) from Device Manager, and the software from Add/Remove programs.
Reboot and see if you can reinstall the video adapter. Otherwise, it's
a mainboard replacement.

March 4, 2005 12:43:12 AM

> Cookie wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Would some kind soul have a look at the pic of Nec (url below)
>> and tell me what the problem is, as you can see the text from the
>> top seems to run on down to the bottom of the display.
>> any ideas?
>>
>> would it be the bulb or the inverter or a loose connection?
>>
>> Are these easy to replace?
>>
>> Thx in advance
>> Phil
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2014p5
>
> Neither bulb nor inverter. The refresh rate is not correct (60hz), the
> default monitor is not correct (laptop display panel), or the video chip
> has failed (likely). Boot to safe mode, see if the default VGA works.
> Remove the display adapter (you might have to toggle View hidden devices)
> from Device Manager, and the software from Add/Remove programs. Reboot and
> see if you can reinstall the video adapter. Otherwise, it's a mainboard
> replacement.

I'm presuming its a hardware fault cause when I enter the bios the problem
is
still there.

I got it running with a PC 15" monitor and its fine, video adapter must be
ok?

thx anyways Q
Related resources
March 4, 2005 12:43:12 AM

> Cookie wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Would some kind soul have a look at the pic of Nec (url below)
>> and tell me what the problem is, as you can see the text from the
>> top seems to run on down to the bottom of the display.
>> any ideas?
>>
>> would it be the bulb or the inverter or a loose connection?
>>
>> Are these easy to replace?
>>
>> Thx in advance
>> Phil
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2014p5
>
> Neither bulb nor inverter. The refresh rate is not correct (60hz), the
> default monitor is not correct (laptop display panel), or the video chip
> has failed (likely). Boot to safe mode, see if the default VGA works.
> Remove the display adapter (you might have to toggle View hidden devices)
> from Device Manager, and the software from Add/Remove programs. Reboot and
> see if you can reinstall the video adapter. Otherwise, it's a mainboard
> replacement.

I'm presuming its a hardware fault cause when I enter the bios the problem
is
still there.

I got it running with a PC 15" monitor and its fine, video adapter must be
ok?

thx anyways Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 12:43:13 AM

Cookie wrote:
>> Cookie wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Would some kind soul have a look at the pic of Nec (url below)
>>> and tell me what the problem is, as you can see the text from the
>>> top seems to run on down to the bottom of the display.
>>> any ideas?
>>>
>>> would it be the bulb or the inverter or a loose connection?
>>>
>>> Are these easy to replace?
>>>
>>> Thx in advance
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2014p5
>>
>> Neither bulb nor inverter. The refresh rate is not correct (60hz),
>> the default monitor is not correct (laptop display panel), or the
>> video chip has failed (likely). Boot to safe mode, see if the
>> default VGA works. Remove the display adapter (you might have to
>> toggle View hidden devices) from Device Manager, and the software
>> from Add/Remove programs. Reboot and see if you can reinstall the
>> video adapter. Otherwise, it's a mainboard replacement.

> I'm presuming its a hardware fault cause when I enter the bios the
> problem is
> still there.
>
> I got it running with a PC 15" monitor and its fine, video adapter
> must be ok?
>
> thx anyways Q

Well that puts a new light on the subject. I would still check the
refresh rate, etc., and if that appears OK, then remove the adapter and
software, reboot and reinstall.

March 6, 2005 12:50:00 AM

> Cookie wrote:
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> Neither bulb nor inverter. The refresh rate is not correct (60hz),
>>> the default monitor is not correct (laptop display panel), or the
>>> video chip has failed (likely). Boot to safe mode, see if the
>>> default VGA works. Remove the display adapter (you might have to
>>> toggle View hidden devices) from Device Manager, and the software
>>> from Add/Remove programs. Reboot and see if you can reinstall the
>>> video adapter. Otherwise, it's a mainboard replacement.

>> I'm presuming its a hardware fault cause when I enter the bios the
>> problem is
>> still there.
>>
>> I got it running with a PC 15" monitor and its fine, video adapter
>> must be ok?
>>
>> thx anyways Q
>
> Well that puts a new light on the subject. I would still check the
> refresh rate, etc., and if that appears OK, then remove the adapter and
> software, reboot and reinstall.

Reinstalled drivers, changed refresh rate etc.. still the same :-(

I checked for loose connections to the lcd they are ok.
I'm thinking its a faulty lcd
!