Can I use old Minolta MF lenses with digital SLR?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 27, 2005 8:34:06 PM

Hi:

I've been poking around the web (and did a Google search), but I'm
still confused. I have an old Minolta X-700 35MM SLR, and have a
decent collection of lenses for it. I'm considering going to a digital
SLR, and I looked at the Konica-Minolta Dimage A200. It looks like it
has changeable lenses, but it also looks like the camera expects AF
lenses.

If I set the camera to MF mode, is it reasonable to expect that my old
lenses would work with the new camera? Or, should I just sell the old
equipment and pick the best digital camera I can find? Thanks...

Jim
January 28, 2005 2:52:17 AM

<jtj3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I've been poking around the web (and did a Google search), but I'm
> still confused. I have an old Minolta X-700 35MM SLR, and have a
> decent collection of lenses for it. I'm considering going to a digital
> SLR, and I looked at the Konica-Minolta Dimage A200. It looks like it
> has changeable lenses, but it also looks like the camera expects AF
> lenses.
>
> If I set the camera to MF mode, is it reasonable to expect that my old
> lenses would work with the new camera? Or, should I just sell the old
> equipment and pick the best digital camera I can find? Thanks...
>
> Jim

Sorry the A200 is a point & shoot dZLR camera, it has optional lens cells
that mount iun front of it's intregated fixed zoom lens. As for manual focus
MD lenses they won't work on any dSLR unless you use the VERY hard to find
MD to Maxxum adapter ($40 usd), which has a lens element in, that means you
can use the really expensive Konica-Minolta 7D dSLR body ($1,600 usd)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:33:37 PM

Well...not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of what I figured.
Thanks very much for the quick reply!

Jim
January 29, 2005 1:21:06 AM

On 28 Jan 2005 09:33:37 -0800, jtj3@hotmail.com wrote:

>Well...not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of what I figured.
>Thanks very much for the quick reply!
>
>Jim

For what it;'s worth I just bought an A200 and it's quite a nice
camera, the zoom lens is a manula twist think, no wide and tele
buttons to work a motor and it feels much better than a "button zoom"
to me after my SLR's
!