Mouse does not work on Windows XP SP3 HP Pavilion

a1pumba

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
The only way I can get the mouse to function even half way is to click on Task Manager first. Any ideas how to correct this? I have been trying for one week.

p951

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

Look at the brand of mouse you have and see if it has a model number. Search for the latest mouse driver via the internet and download. Restart computer and give it another go. I had an issue with this several years ago with an HP pavilion computer and one solution that works, albeit a temporary fix, is to unplug and replug the usb mouse connection when the problem occurs. This will usually fix the problem for a time. You can always get a new mouse - They aren't much money for the standard ones

a1pumba

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Thank you for giving me a possible solution. I have used the original mouse that came with the HP computer along with a HP mouse that came with my new HP Pc, a wireless Logitech mouse and a Microsoft mouse. I have disconnected them all and reinstall. Went into device manager and uninstall and searched for hardware. Also tried the update driver function. I even did a system recovery and so far nothing has corrected the problem.

I don't know if age of the computer is a factor. I purchased it around 2001 and it has worked fine except I had to replace a hard drive. I incresed the memory to 3Gb and installed a 500GB slave drive along with some USB 2.0 ports.

I have done everything you suggested but no success.

If you've installed multiple mice and drivers for each mouse on your pc you probably have conflicts by now.
If you just set-up the mice with the generic MS drivers it shouldn't be an issue.
If your currently using a wireless mouse check the batteries.
I would start by uninstalling the mouse drivers in device manager.
Turn off the pc.
Unplug and replug the mouse.
Restart and let Windows install the generic driver.