Sign in with
Your question

PC won't wake up from sleep

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2011 8:16:04 PM

I recently built a PC. Although, everything is running well, the only problem seems to be that the PC doesn't wake from standby. When I try to wake it, I can hear the fans fire up but the monitor remains blank and says no signal. I had a similar problem with my old computer and found out that I used the wrong DVI port because apparently only one of the two is considered primary. That fixed it. But now I am running dual GTX 260's and I tried all 4 ports but it doesn't make a difference. NVIDIA control panel doesn't indicate any of the ports as primary. I am running windows 7 and my motherboard is ASUS Sabertooth X58. The part I find really weird is that when I finally hard reboot it since it doesn't wake up, the first time windows tries to load the previous state but crashes and then I have to reboot it a second time and choose 'delete restore data and boot' option for it to load up properly. It's very annoying. Could it be a hardware defect or is it just some configuration mistake? Thanks!

More about : wake sleep

January 18, 2011 6:07:43 PM

jey1234 said:
I recently built a PC. Although, everything is running well, the only problem seems to be that the PC doesn't wake from standby. When I try to wake it, I can hear the fans fire up but the monitor remains blank and says no signal. I had a similar problem with my old computer and found out that I used the wrong DVI port because apparently only one of the two is considered primary. That fixed it. But now I am running dual GTX 260's and I tried all 4 ports but it doesn't make a difference. NVIDIA control panel doesn't indicate any of the ports as primary. I am running windows 7 and my motherboard is ASUS Sabertooth X58. The part I find really weird is that when I finally hard reboot it since it doesn't wake up, the first time windows tries to load the previous state but crashes and then I have to reboot it a second time and choose 'delete restore data and boot' option for it to load up properly. It's very annoying. Could it be a hardware defect or is it just some configuration mistake? Thanks!

It's a tough one, but have you done the following:

1.) Installed latest GTX 260 drivers from NVIDIA's site.
2.) Uninstalling one GTX 260 using just one to see if it still happens.
3.) A tad risky, but flash the latest BIOS for your MOBO. Be sure to backup your critical data first!
4.) Turn off sleep mode and just live without it. I do and I don't miss it at all. I'll pay the $100 more or whatever it is on my electric bill per year. I just turn off my PC when I know I will be away from it for a long time.

Let me know if any of this helps. I don't think it is hardware-related. Sleep mode is still quirky these days. My new PC build had a sleep issue when I built it and it turned out I needed to latest Logitech mouse and keyboard software (Logitech Setpoint) to resolve it.
m
l
!