Sign in with
Your question

My pc is overheating and dont know why?

Last response: in Components
April 12, 2011 9:45:32 AM

Hi all, my pc is overheating all the time then freezes randomly and then i have to restart. when i take my side panels of it gets better, but why would i want to take it off all the time, i have a coolermaster cm690 case so airflow is suppose to be good i should hope plz help

Kind regards
Lee

More about : overheating dont

April 12, 2011 10:39:41 AM

Download some software for temps
Coretemp-cpu
Gpu-z -gpu
HWMonitor - system

Your psu looks suspect to me since i've never heard of it.
April 12, 2011 12:09:25 PM

And what is the arrangement of fans, i.e. what is pushing and what is pulling?
Related resources
April 12, 2011 12:09:44 PM

r3m_wolvy said:
Hi all, my pc is overheating all the time then freezes randomly and then i have to restart. when i take my side panels of it gets better, but why would i want to take it off all the time, i have a coolermaster cm690 case so airflow is suppose to be good i should hope plz help

Kind regards
Lee

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the fan on the processor stock cooler randomly stopped spinning. I don't know why this happened, but when I flicked it with my finger it spun back up. If this is the issue, you could turn off the fan speed control in BIOS, although this will lead to more noise (not acceptable to me as I need it to be as silent as possible). I went for an aftermarket cooler with a fan connected to a molex. If this is the issue, I'd get rid of the stock fan ASAP anyway. Just in case.
April 12, 2011 12:42:18 PM

Could the psu be the problem? ill check the cpu fan when i get home, using my laptop atm at work. Do you think i should invest in a aftermarket cpu cooler ? is it worthit?

I have one fan blowing away behind my cpu, 1 fan at the top blowing in one fan blowing from the front of the box in ant another blowing out at the bask. suffiecient enough?
April 12, 2011 1:18:00 PM

Quote:
Could the psu be the problem?

Hard to say without more info. Can you put in another PSU and run the PC for a while to see if the problem is resolved?

Quote:
Do you think i should invest in a aftermarket cpu cooler ? is it worthit?

It depends on what temperatures your CPU is running at, and of course if your current heatsink fan is faulty. A lot of aftermarket CPU coolers perform better than stock ones, so if you run your processor hard then it would be a good investment. The Coolermaster Hyper-212 Plus gets good reports and doesn’t break the bank. I’ve not used it myself (although I’ve got it coming this week) but bought it on the strength of its reviews. There are stacks out there, just make sure it’ll fit on your motherboard and comes with a decent (metal) mounting plate.

Quote:
I have one fan blowing away behind my cpu, 1 fan at the top blowing in one fan blowing from the front of the box in ant another blowing out at the bask. suffiecient enough?

It depends, which probably isn't a helpful answer! Is the fan behind the CPU the one in the exhaust position above the expansion card ports? Check where this is in relation to the fan on top – if both of these fans are sufficiently powerful, it may be that air is coming in the top and then exiting straightaway out the back. This will likely give you some convection across the CPU, but depending on the CPU heatsink you have it may actually be starved of air, particularly if the case fans are powerful. The fan at the front might have its airstream blocked by HDD mounts and cabling – is the inside of your case tidy, or are their cables in the way? Lastly, that other fan at the back (I’m not sure if you have one or two, can you be more specific) might be complicating matters by further starving components of cooling air.

What do you use your PC for? If it’s gaming, how hot does your GPU run? This may be increasing overall internal temperatures and exacerbating the situation.

This is all assuming it’s heat that’s causing the issue. It could be faulty components (PSU, motherboard, memory, HDD). However, if the problem occurs less with the case panel off, then it certainly suggests a heating issue.
April 12, 2011 6:40:25 PM

I have a CM690II
1 front intake fan
1 rear exhaust
1 top exhaust
The top fan mounts are for exhaust only = hot air rises
There's the problem =you have your's as an intake fighting against your stock cpu cooler
Immediately change that fan to exhaust.
April 28, 2011 6:37:51 AM

hey guys thanx for replies, i found the problem, it was my mobo that was faulty, the p8p67 deluxe mobos were faulty but im getting n new one this week, and as for the fans i have placed them in perfekt airflow order thanx alot!
!