Sign in with
Your question

My hp computer wont boot up

Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2011 10:59:12 AM

hello,
i have a compaq presario intel 4 windows vista, i have not turn it on for almost two years, i bought a monitor turn it on last night and did the updates with i restarted it the screen is saying no signal

More about : computer wont boot

a c 101 à CPUs
a b α HP
April 12, 2011 11:09:24 AM

You need to install the drivers for the new monitor. Insert the CD that came with the monitor and install the drivers. Then re-start.
m
l
April 12, 2011 11:48:06 AM

thanks ubrales but that did not work
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2011 11:50:34 AM

I get nothing on the monitor when it starts up. Presario SR2170NX computer. I have tried two monitors that I know work, I tried replacing the power supply and hitting f8 on start up as well as delete to get a bios or boot menu. Nothing comes up blank screen and the monitor times out to sleep mode light no signal. Should I try replacing the ram or CPU? Is the board fried, is there a jumper somewhere on the board where I can try and reset the bios or force it to try and use the graphics card. It starts up I get a light on the front the cpu cooling fan spins I can hear the hard drive cue up. I don't get a beep when hitting buttons over and over. any insite would be appreciated. TY!!!
m
l
a c 101 à CPUs
a b α HP
April 12, 2011 12:04:37 PM

talon_08 said:
I get nothing on the monitor when it starts up. Presario SR2170NX computer. I have tried two monitors that I know work, I tried replacing the power supply and hitting f8 on start up as well as delete to get a bios or boot menu. Nothing comes up blank screen and the monitor times out to sleep mode light no signal. Should I try replacing the ram or CPU? Is the board fried, is there a jumper somewhere on the board where I can try and reset the bios or force it to try and use the graphics card. It starts up I get a light on the front the cpu cooling fan spins I can hear the hard drive cue up. I don't get a beep when hitting buttons over and over. any insite would be appreciated. TY!!!

A simple way to reset the BIOS to factory defaults is to remove the RTC battery (Lithium CR 2032) from the motherboard. Leave it out for 10 minutes, then re-install the battery.

Restart. Listen for the POST beep (single beep). Try to get into the BIOS by tapping the appropriate key.

If still nothing happens, then I suggest that you treat this as a new build computer and follow this trouble-shooting guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

This will provide some insight as to what may be happening, and what the corrective action would be.
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
April 12, 2011 12:07:51 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'updates'

There was an issue years ago with Vista Windows update locking-up and trashing the OS. Hopefully this is not your problem.

If it is --- at boot try "F8 - Last Know Good Configuration". If that fails you can try an OS 'repair' --- otherwise, you will have to do a complete re-install of the OS.

Point yer googler to "" KB980248 (I think that's one of 'em) crash"" or ""Vista Update Crash"
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
April 12, 2011 12:09:56 PM

Try different cables until you get a display.
VGA,DVI

m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:05:01 PM

Did the system complete the POwerup Self Test? If not, something is broken.
m
l
!