My hp computer wont boot up

hello,
i have a compaq presario intel 4 windows vista, i have not turn it on for almost two years, i bought a monitor turn it on last night and did the updates with i restarted it the screen is saying no signal
7 answers Last reply
More about computer wont boot
  1. You need to install the drivers for the new monitor. Insert the CD that came with the monitor and install the drivers. Then re-start.
  2. thanks ubrales but that did not work
  3. I get nothing on the monitor when it starts up. Presario SR2170NX computer. I have tried two monitors that I know work, I tried replacing the power supply and hitting f8 on start up as well as delete to get a bios or boot menu. Nothing comes up blank screen and the monitor times out to sleep mode light no signal. Should I try replacing the ram or CPU? Is the board fried, is there a jumper somewhere on the board where I can try and reset the bios or force it to try and use the graphics card. It starts up I get a light on the front the cpu cooling fan spins I can hear the hard drive cue up. I don't get a beep when hitting buttons over and over. any insite would be appreciated. TY!!!
  4. talon_08 said:
    I get nothing on the monitor when it starts up. Presario SR2170NX computer. I have tried two monitors that I know work, I tried replacing the power supply and hitting f8 on start up as well as delete to get a bios or boot menu. Nothing comes up blank screen and the monitor times out to sleep mode light no signal. Should I try replacing the ram or CPU? Is the board fried, is there a jumper somewhere on the board where I can try and reset the bios or force it to try and use the graphics card. It starts up I get a light on the front the cpu cooling fan spins I can hear the hard drive cue up. I don't get a beep when hitting buttons over and over. any insite would be appreciated. TY!!!

A simple way to reset the BIOS to factory defaults is to remove the RTC battery (Lithium CR 2032) from the motherboard. Leave it out for 10 minutes, then re-install the battery.

Restart. Listen for the POST beep (single beep). Try to get into the BIOS by tapping the appropriate key.

If still nothing happens, then I suggest that you treat this as a new build computer and follow this trouble-shooting guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

This will provide some insight as to what may be happening, and what the corrective action would be.
  5. Not sure what you mean by 'updates'

There was an issue years ago with Vista Windows update locking-up and trashing the OS. Hopefully this is not your problem.

If it is --- at boot try "F8 - Last Know Good Configuration". If that fails you can try an OS 'repair' --- otherwise, you will have to do a complete re-install of the OS.

Point yer googler to "" KB980248 (I think that's one of 'em) crash"" or ""Vista Update Crash"
  6. Try different cables until you get a display.
    VGA,DVI
  7. Did the system complete the POwerup Self Test? If not, something is broken.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hewlett Packard