handyman_70

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Very important question for a very unusual circumstance:

Is it possible to track if an employee has selected a document and pressed "copy" but did not actually paste the document???

I might be dumber than usually this morning but how would that be a threat? It only remains in the Clipboard until something else replaces it. A keylogger would tell you every key the user presses but an astute employee with an eye on stealing data would notice the excessive use of hard disk space that causes to be occupied. You should be more worried if someone copies something and then goes on to paste it twice - once into a legitimate place and the second time into an outgoing mail or on to a flash drive.[/#000ff]

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Is it "possible"? Sure... anything is possible, there are programs out there that will copy any image sent to the clip board for archiving, etc... so I'm sure it's techincally possible with text too. I don't know of any... but I'm sure a decent programer could write one or you could google it until you found it..

If you're looking to go back and review without something like the above already installed / running, then no, you're probably out of luck.

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

I would like to know that as well. If copying a file is a threat.. the problem is elsewhere then the act of copying itself. That person shouldn't be able to access that file at all.