Cambridge Camera has moved to Brooklyn!

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 28, 2005 12:20:59 AM

Amazon has started a yellow pages site with pictures. See http://a9.com.
None for Brooklyn yet, but they do have Manhattan. So I checked out how
they compare to my Manhattan Store Fronts. First I tried Adorama. The
picture it selected was several stores away. So I found the best and put a
check on that most accurate one. Then I tried Cambridge Camera. For its
address there was plywood covering announcing a new store! (Again I had to
scroll up and down the block until I found their address.) So I went to
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/ and I found a 718 phone number. The only
address on the web site is for repairs. Still the NYC address. The NYC
address is still on their whois. A reverse lookup on their 718 number comes
up with:

Cambridge World Inc
34 Franklin Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205

That's up in Williamsburg.

Let's see what I find for their apparent sidekick:
http://www.aaacamera.com/. The site seems dead. What other domain names do
these people operate under?

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:21:00 AM

can't speak for Domain names but Way back machine is fun

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.aaacamera.com/

shows the site from 1998 to Feb 2004

Wayne

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> Amazon has started a yellow pages site with pictures. See http://a9.com.
> None for Brooklyn yet, but they do have Manhattan. So I checked out how
> they compare to my Manhattan Store Fronts. First I tried Adorama. The
> picture it selected was several stores away. So I found the best and put a
> check on that most accurate one. Then I tried Cambridge Camera. For its
> address there was plywood covering announcing a new store! (Again I had to
> scroll up and down the block until I found their address.) So I went to
> http://www.cambridgeworld.com/ and I found a 718 phone number. The only
> address on the web site is for repairs. Still the NYC address. The NYC
> address is still on their whois. A reverse lookup on their 718 number
> comes
> up with:
>
> Cambridge World Inc
> 34 Franklin Ave
> Brooklyn, NY 11205
>
> That's up in Williamsburg.
>
> Let's see what I find for their apparent sidekick:
> http://www.aaacamera.com/. The site seems dead. What other domain names do
> these people operate under?
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:21:00 AM

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message

> Let's see what I find for their apparent sidekick:
> http://www.aaacamera.com/.

How the mighty have fallen. Way back in the early 70s I ordered my first SLR
from them. Their prices were low and service was great.
January 28, 2005 2:04:38 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:33:45 -0700, "wayne" <nope@exampe.com> wrote:

>can't speak for Domain names but Way back machine is fun
>
>http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.aaacamera.com/
>
>shows the site from 1998 to Feb 2004

Yes. A useful site to do research. Did you look at their last home page? It
has a big notice:

"In order to better serve you, we are moving to a bigger and better
location. Please check back for our re-opening date. Since our new phone
lines are not yet connected, please place your order via our shopping cart
or via our e-mail sales@aaacamera.com."

And then they disappeared. I never had proof that these people were
Cambridge. I just suspected it from their next door address, and nothing
being next door.

Here's the record they left behind:
http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports/Default.aspx?...

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
January 28, 2005 3:13:47 PM

Boy, what a red flag. Imagine a serious company making a legit move that
doesn't keep its old lines open until everything set up in new
facility.

!