Sign in with
Your question

GTX 580 vs GTX 480...other questions as well

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2010 1:35:26 PM

Was potentially thinking about upgrading to one of these cards (Currently have a 192 core GTX 260)

I see the GTX 580 is around 520 bucks

While the GTX 480 is around 400 bucks

Is there that much of a difference, performance wise, from people who may have used both between the two for $100?

Also a couple of other questions. Let say I choose to get the 580, and I want to upgrade my power supply (Right now it is a 750Watt, pretty sure no named brand) and I believe it gives me issues.

What would be a good, and futureproof PSU to get.

Also would I be bottle necking a GTX 580 with the current intel i7 920 @ 2.67ghz I have?

Also, would i need any overall cooling if I decide to put in the GTX 580, and are there any ways to get the system cooler in general.

Right now I am getting Deferred Procedure calls and system interrupts from something, I believe it may be the power supply or inadequate cooling, and it is leading to my CPU being taxed to around 25% and one of the cores going to 100% - So I may have to change parts regardless

I can give you more detailed information when I get home, but this is the computer I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If anyone has any information on this, much appreciated...

Anthony
November 17, 2010 1:50:30 PM

The GTX580 runs cooler and quieter than the GTX480 but only 15-20% better performance i believe.
Crosair is a good power supply brand.
I think the GTX580 may be bottlenecked with the i7 not being over-clocked. But the ATI 6870 have a very good performance for buck, but it depends what you are looking to do with the card i suppose.
m
l
November 17, 2010 1:57:42 PM

The $100 question can only be answered by you. Do YOU think its worth the extra 10-20% performance? Does a quieter and cooler GPU mean $100 difference to you?

PSU Answer
First Choice should be one of these: Corsair, XFX, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic.. But some more buyable/average brands - OCZ, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Asaka, Zalman.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 17, 2010 2:01:59 PM

I guess I am looking to be able to game most importantly, and I want to be able to play games on Max Settings for the most part. The GTX 260 just isn't cutting it anymore

I have a 23 inch Monitor, 1920x1080p
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:06:07 PM

This is what i would do in your scenario:

Upgrade the PSU to a respectable brand 750w area.
Overclock the CPU to around 3-3.4 ghz (upgrade the cooling on the CPU if not already)
Then purchase the GPU, 470, 480 or 580.. Depends on budget.

But, this is down to you, and the 470 or 480 or 580 will be a decent performer for future games for a good few years, These scale well once SLI'd also.
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:20:12 PM

That honestly is what I want to do...whether or not I would be able to is the question

How would one go about revamping there cooling system in there PC?
Is there a specific guide people use?

Also, with power supplies, is it better to upgrade to something that is larger than 750 for the future? Also...is there a faq or guide to make sure I get the right Power Supply as well...(sorry, trying to learn as I go along)

Thanks
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:03:50 PM

Grab a Corsair 1000 Watt, especially if you plan on SLI in the future.. The 6870 shouldn't even be in your thoughts if you are looking at the 480/580.
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:12:23 PM

Yea, that was my overall feeling, going 1k...just have to see if it fits though >.<
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:18:13 PM

Alot of variations come into play in your situation...

1.Do you plan on using nvidia surround in the future?
2.Does your MB support sLI
3.What kind of games do you play

If you are only using one monitor and your motherboard only supports one gpu, I would go with the GTX 580 @ 1900x1200 resolution, you should be able to max everything out in everything outside games using physx

Metro 2033, Batman AA, FarCry 2, Mafia 2, Aliens vs Predator (physx turned on very high) just to name a few will bog 1 GTX 480 down below 30 fps without a dedicated physx Card.

I would invest in a highend PSU such as SilverStone or Antec for the price keeping it below 200 dollars...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you plan to do SLI then I would suggest 2 GTX 480's for 600 dollars; thats a no brainer. Yeah; it may get noisy but I can max out pretty much everything @ 6002x1080p
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:30:32 PM

1. Probably Not, currently I have two 23 inch Monitors set up, but usually only use the extra one when doing Research for college, or Video Editing. I usually disable it when gaming. Plus I usually play MMO's or RTS games, so I dont see myself needed the extra space, Nice, but unnecessary.

2. Well my motherboard is a Intel x58, I am unsure of the exact model of it, I can always run CPU-Z when I get home to check

3. MMO's RPG's, RTS. I do like to get the occasional Steam Sale, Like I just picked up Metro 2033 for 10 bucks, but I believe it is killing my computer lol.

I don't think I am ever going to do SLI, I always liked the single GPU better, so I will probably be safe with a 850 watt brand name PSU?

Also...what do I do with the GTX 260? Should I keep it or sell it? Or give it to a friend?

m
l
November 17, 2010 5:42:49 PM

Metro 2033 for ten bucks?! Is that sale still happening? If you aren't doing SLI then the motherboard isn't really an issue. As long as you have the 1 PCIe 2.0/1 x16 then you will be fine.

As for the PSU. Check your PM's.. I may be able to save ya some cash.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:46:25 PM

Yea, it was ten bucks for a day during THQs week of sales week on Steam...it was like 2 weeks ago though :( 

Checking PM now, and also, I should be able to swap out the GTX 260 for the GTX 580 without having to worry about different connections right? They are both PCIe 2.0/1 x16?
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:53:51 PM

There doesn't seem to be anything in my PM box
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:58:56 PM

Check again, I just sent it.. youre too quick.. lol
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:24:29 PM

Okay, just a couple of questions I guess regarding my case and cooling.

Right now I Currently have two fans, would that be two little if I wanted to potentially overclock my processor a bit?

IMAG0050 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

Would there also not be enough cooling in this case for a GTX 580?

IMAG0048 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

Should I invest in a third Fan, it looks like there is a grill, and a opening for it, but I am not sure if I can, the front of the case is covering it, I really do not know why it exists over there? Any thoughts on what can be done?

IMAG0042 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

IMAG0043 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

Its hard to make out, but there is a 3 pin connector on the mobo that says front fan, where nothing is, is that the connector I would be using if I was going to put in that front fan?

IMAG0055 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

And if anyone can tell me if Delta is a good Power Supply? Its 750 Watts, I am not even sure if it would support the GTX 580, or if I should get a reputable brand like corsair instead, because right now I am having issues with DPCs and System Interrupts and the computer randomly shutting down. People say the PSU may be the culprit.

Maybe someone can even explain what exactly those numbers mean on it as well...

IMAG0044 by thetallesttales, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to look over this!
Much Appreciated!

Anthony
m
l
November 18, 2010 1:51:33 AM

Honestly, from the look in the case, I'm almost postive you done have enough room for a 580. It's 10.5 inches long and thats minimum. It's hard to judge by the picture, but you may be hitting the drive bays with a card that long.
m
l
November 18, 2010 2:46:28 AM

Well, my main concern would be airflow and if the system is just cool enough to handle it.

The Size of the cards are the same according to nVidias Spec Sheet
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:00:04 AM

Looks like a older case; IMO, you should really invest in another case such as a HAF for under a 100.00

Much better Airflow then what you could acheive buying fans for your current case. I would be nervous about pairing such an expensive GPU like the GTX 580 with that PSU.

Honestly, looking at what games you play mostly etc. I would get a GTX 470 and call it a day. You end up saving alot of money and its the best bang for you dollar.

Otherwise you are looking at close to a 800 dollars to upgrade your system.
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:14:29 AM

If you are going considering the 470, I want to recommend the super overclocked edition by Gigabyte.. The thing is a BEAST, and OC's like a beast would. On par or even a little above a 480 in some games.. Really a performance great..
m
l
November 18, 2010 1:26:03 PM

solidnickel said:
Looks like a older case; IMO, you should really invest in another case such as a HAF for under a 100.00

Much better Airflow then what you could acheive buying fans for your current case. I would be nervous about pairing such an expensive GPU like the GTX 580 with that PSU.

Honestly, looking at what games you play mostly etc. I would get a GTX 470 and call it a day. You end up saving alot of money and its the best bang for you dollar.

Otherwise you are looking at close to a 800 dollars to upgrade your system.

Well The only thing is I still have a year and a half left with this warranty from Microcenter, so Changing the case is probably a no go for now.

As for the 580, It is something I want to get simply because I want to be able to have overkill for most of my games, and any future games that come out.

Something that is kind of weird with MMO's and WoW for example is, I can't get 60 fps in all areas or towns and what not. I am left at between 40-45 fps. I want to be able to be above 60, and room for years to come, not just on the bar for it.

As for a different power supply, yea, I still feel I should get a different one, especially if I am going to get that 580.
As for monetary concerns, I probably will be putting in half, and the other half is going to be a Christmas gift, and I really do not mind for the most part, because it is something that should last for a longgg time
m
l
November 18, 2010 2:02:53 PM

You can get over 60 fps easily on a GTX 470, I think the GTX 580 is overkill for MMORPG's but thats just my opinion.

I stay away from those types of games, can't afford to get addicted :) 

m
l
November 18, 2010 3:01:16 PM

I played Champions Online pretty often with my 470 SOC and I routinely got 60+ FPS.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:43:36 PM

Appreciate the info =D I just like to buy the best I can at that point in time, that way it will last me come Blizzards next mmo...or diablo 3.

Im an all ultra fanatic with those games...
m
l
November 19, 2010 2:33:09 AM

Chilledchaos said:
Appreciate the info =D I just like to buy the best I can at that point in time, that way it will last me come Blizzards next mmo...or diablo 3.

Im an all ultra fanatic with those games...

Just ask Santa for one and call it a day!
m
l
!