Sign in with
Your question

Would a bad CPU cause bsods, freezing, annoying problems?

Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2011 4:20:14 PM

Well I just bought third motherboard and come to the conclusion it wasn't that.

To start off, last year or so I went out and bought me a Biostar ta790gxb a2+, along with an AMD Phenom ii x4 925. Also bought Kingston Valuram 2gb to go with it.

Well long story short, I was never able to get it running smoothly except for when I installed some old memory I had, some samsung 512mb. With that installed, it never crashed or bsod'd, just was slow for what I wanted.

Of course I had tried swapping to different rams, 1gb sticks, 2gb sticks, and nothing changed.

So I thought it would be the motherboard, went on newegg and bought me an Asus m4a87td evo motherboard with G Skill Eco 4gb ram.

I installed it when it arrived and same thing, would not install windows and would get bsod's. I should note with the previous motherboard, I could only install windows with the 512mb memory installed.

So now yesterday decided to buy another motherboard. This time I got an MSI 760GM-E51 with Patriot 4gb ram. Well same thing has happened so far.

Now I have gotten a new power supply since the first motherboard, and the only old hardware I've been using is the processor and hard drive. So not sure what's happening here.
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 5:44:18 PM

It's obviously a RAM problem since you said it worked fine with your old memory
m
l
April 12, 2011 5:51:23 PM

are you installing compatible ram modules? if old one worked... but if you bought new MB+RAM... then... have you tried installing other OS ?
Running Hiren's Boot and run Mini Windows XP?
Formatted HDD in another PC ?
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2011 5:53:24 PM

Then the new RAM sticks I bought all could have been bad?

It worked fine with the first mobo. I should say first mobo was DDR2.

The two mobos I bought after were DDR3.

I had bought Gskill, Corsair, and also tried Patriot ram sticks into second mobo but that didnt work.

I also tried setting the voltage and timing to manufacturer specifications.

m
l
April 12, 2011 6:07:24 PM

wolverin0 said:
are you installing compatible ram modules? if old one worked... but if you bought new MB+RAM... then... have you tried installing other OS ?
Running Hiren's Boot and run Mini Windows XP?
Formatted HDD in another PC ?

Yeah the ram modules should be compatible. The old one only worked with 512mb, two sticks of 256mb. These were DDR2.

The only thing I took from old mobo was processor and hdd. Could the hdd possibly be the culprit? Have not tried formatting it on another pc.

And yes tried installing different OS. Will have to look into that Hirens Boot thing.
m
l
April 13, 2011 3:47:26 PM

Bought an AMD Phenom ii x2 955 Black Edition and new Western Digital HDD.

Everything runs smoothly now.

So it was either hdd or processor. Might buy new hdd just to get my answer. But for now no more headaches
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 3:17:55 AM

in all my years, the only faulty CPU's i have seen were a few Intel celerons that had dead shorts in them that would not allow the PC to power up at all. This was when i worked for a large PC manufacturer (1000-3000+ PC's built daily), so i have seen a LOT of CPU's.
m
l
!