Upgraded to GTX470

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Right well i decided it was time to get rid of my GTX275 and get a new DX11 card so i purchased an Asus GTX470.

Can anybody tell me if there power consumption are very similar and is the perfomance of the 470 marginally better.

Thanks

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
gtx470's power consumption is quite a bit higher than that of a 275. You need at least a good quality 650w psu to run it properly.

Performance wise the 470 is better but not by a huge margin, 30-40% i believe.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

you always have to start the flames don't you?

gtx 470 is a friggin power hungry card, and so is the 275 but i didn't know they were so close.

the performance diference is an approximate 25% isn't far away from 30, and that also depends on the gam

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

What brings you to that conclusion?

My MSI GTX470 is running on a CoolerMaster 700W RealPower. The temp's are pretty high for my liking though.....90 deg. Agreed, the 470 uses a lot more power, but the performance difference is certainly in your face. For eg, I was running a 1 gig GTS 250. When playing GTA 4, the difference between the 2 cards was pretty evident. How do I say that? Well, for one, the graphic details are much better. Second, the detail of the different colours is just too good! So yeah, I would say that the difference is quite a lot.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post....didn't get the quote on the previous msg.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
thanks for sharing your GTS 250 story. I could not tell by the chart above that a GTS 250 with half the overall performance level of a GTX 470 would be a lesser card. I was really struggling with that one.

Nice....at least you have a decent hand at sarcasm! ;) Not that I'm interested in starting a flame war here, I wanted to share from my experience the difference I noticed. It was kinda meant for the OP, in case I wasn't clear earlier.

what brings me to my conclusion? those would be facts by various reviews rather then personal stories of fan boys.

....which we're just supposed to assume without any reference to, right? Would have helped if you place some reliance on citations backing your reasoning making it more plausible rather than one-liners which don't throw much light on 'why' you think so.

Back to the OP:
'IMHO', the performance of the 470 is better than the 275.....worth the upgrade i would say. The best way to figure that out would be to try some games and compare the difference from your previous experience with the 275. I'm gonna say that with tessellation and DX11, the 20-30% is a worthy difference.

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Thanks for your input, let's throw a HD5870 in to the equation as it has lower power consumption then both cards and it looks like it outperforms both of them for a slightly more premium then the 470. Should i consider this as an alternative?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
The 5870 is quite a bit more powerful that the gtx470 unless there's tesselation into play.

You should consider the 6870, it's on par with gtx470, sometimes a litle better actually, use way less power produce way less heat and DX11 is hugely improved vs 5000 series cards.