Sign in with
Your question

Building a Gaming PC for $350

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2011 1:44:45 AM

Any suggestions? I am looking to build a PC that is capable of playing the new World of Warcraft type games. I am going to start listing parts that I have in mind but if you guys can help me with any deals or parts list that would be great.

I have all the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor speakers.) I am going to replace everything else.

More about : building gaming 350

January 17, 2011 1:48:55 AM

I forgot to add that I would need a new graphics card as well. I am going to post the minimum system requirements for the game I want to play, but I want to be able to play the game smoothly so I would need something slightly better than the minimum requirements. I am going to start posting my part list that I come up with for advice. Thanks in advance.

"Minimum System Requirements

Windows® System XP/XP64/Vista/Vista64/7** OS (with the latest Service Packs or updates):

- Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
- 1 GB or more of RAM
- NVIDIA® GeForce® FX or ATI Radeon™ 9500 video card or better
- 25.0 GB available HD space
- 4X DVD-ROM drive (Downloadable Installer also available)
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard/mouse"
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:59:12 AM

Min requirements listed on the box often don't really deliver...

At $350, you will be pretty much mandated to go with an AMD x2/x3 rig and older AM3 board; I'd try hard to scrounge another $100 somewhere, and get a GTX460, 4 GB of RAM, even if you have to find/scrounge HD/DVD drives from an old build to afford it.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 2:17:47 AM

mdd1963 said:
Min requirements listed on the box often don't really deliver...

At $350, you will be pretty much mandated to go with an AMD x2/x3 rig and older AM3 board; I'd try hard to scrounge another $100 somewhere, and get a GTX460, 4 GB of RAM, even if you have to find/scrounge HD/DVD drives from an old build to afford it.

I am going to try to do some salvaging. I guess the most important place to start off is a decent motherboard/cpu combo. How about this for starters

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Will it work?
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 17, 2011 3:36:45 AM

yeah, that PSU and RAM is fine, if you have to pick a cp, get the Athlon II X4 635, though the 640 is only $2 more.

I'd suggest the X3 450 at $79.99 instead, which is $20 more toward your GPU.

for mobo, I suggest the AS Rock 880GM or 770 both at $59.99
m
l
January 17, 2011 3:37:02 AM

Since you are forced to maximize every penny of your budget, there are alternatives for your needs. For example, the CPU. A dual core should be enough, assuming the minimum system requirement above is correct. Your economical option would be a Sempron 180 for $39:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010091702_Sempron_1...

While the standard option is an Athlon II X2 240 for $45. See the chart for yourself, to draw your own conclusion and choice. But extra cores is always a good thing. Although you may not need a Quad, a triple core Rana should leave you around $20 to spare for a graphic card and definitely made sure that the motherboard max TDP isn't exceeded (95W is standard for entry level motherboards).

As for the motherboard, I see you can get a very cheap Gigabyte. Good choice.

I see your current choice for a PSU is a good one. Better stick to it.

Your RAM choice is good enough, since you don't need any heatsink on it anyway. Those heatsinks are for overclocking purposes. So if you don't OC, then you don't need them.

Get a decent case around $40-50.

With all that, and a $80 AMD HD5670, since you most likely won't need a GTX460 for WoW (the PSU isn't sufficient anyway), you're good to go! :D 
m
l
January 17, 2011 4:15:28 AM

thanks for the advice. ok it looks good but now im going to try and trim down the costs of the parts. do you guys have any suggestions or combo deals?
m
l
January 17, 2011 4:50:39 AM

Then get a $45 Athlon II X2 240 dual core and this $43 motherboard to cut down the expenses. That saves you more than $25. :D 

http://www.jwele.com/motherboard_detail.php?869

This is probably the cheapest AM3 motherboard available for the moment.

And instead of an $80 HD5670, a $60 HD5570 or even a $45 HD4650 will save you even more. Mind you, that the screen resolution is also limited for cheaper GPUs in order to get a smooth gameplay.

Which reminds me, what's your current monitor's screen resolution?
m
l
January 17, 2011 10:06:43 AM

I think the X3 he linked to is a decent deal, but, I'd opt for an AMD 7xx chipset over older Nvidia MBs currently.
m
l
!