Compatibility and Bottlenecking

Hello, just fyi I'm totally green when it comes to hardware, so please bear with me. My current rig consist of a GeForce GTS 250, 4GB DDR2, E8500 at stock speed and a ASUS P5Q SE2 mobo. I was thinking of investing in the Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. My questions are: Would the new card be compatible with my mobo? Will my system be bottlenecked by a certian component? If yes to 1, which card would you recommend I get? I'd like to keep it under 300$. Thank you for your time.
10 answers Last reply
More about compatibility bottlenecking
  1. the card will be compatible with your motherboard, it'll probaly bottleneck a little because of the cpu, but nothing major, depends on what resolution you play at.

OCing a little would help
  2. wiinippongamer said:
    the card will be compatible with your motherboard, it'll probaly bottleneck a little because of the cpu, but nothing major, depends on what resolution you play at.

OCing a little would help

The E8500 is still a strong dual core CPU.. That being said overclocking it couldnt hurt.
  3. maybe HD6870? It good for a long term...
    OCing your E8500 is an easiest way to increase your performance.
  4. Even without an OC he should be able to run that card with a very very small bottleneck. You should be fine, but ya OCing would help a little. =D
  5. wa1 said:
    maybe HD6870? It good for a long term...
    OCing your E8500 is an easiest way to increase your performance.

I have a Chieftec 550w psu, will it be able to handle it?
  6. If your power supply is a good brand that can really go up to 550w then I think so, but you need two pci-e connectors. =D
  7. Quote:
    I have a Chieftec 550w psu, will it be able to handle it?

yes it will
  8. Your CPU should go to 3.4Ghz so easy. Much easier then mine and it won't get that hot. You can try with the stock heat sink or buy even a cheap one and it will suffice.
  9. Yeah do a little OC. If you can't OC you shouldn't have much of a bottleneck anyway. your fine. :D
  10. Ended up getting the HD6870. Thank you all for your input.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Bottleneck Compatibility Graphics