Wierd computer problem and not sure what the problem is

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
hey guys, havn't posted in a while but having a problem with my pc and not sure what it is. First, here's my specs:

1.Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD
2.AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz
3.WINTEC AMPX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
4.XFX HD-465X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0
5.Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W ATX12V(bought in 2004)
6.Western Digital 80 gig IDE hardrive(I'm sure it's older then dirt to)
7.Windows xp sp3

While back, turned my computer on and I noticed it was taking forever to do..well..anything. When ever i turn it on and makes it to the first windows screen it takes for ever for to get anywhere. Once it makes it to the Preparing to start Windows xp screen it sits and says it's loading FOREVER. Then it finally makes it to the main windows desktop and takes forever for anything to load as well. When i click to open any program or just to get on the internet it takes for ever and when it does there are often problems.
When i go on Youtube, or put in a movie or TRY(key word TRY) to play a game the games and the video or whatever has serious lags in WHATEVER I'm doing. My computer is just having problems doing anhyting that requires loading or something. While trying to watch a live feed of a church service or listen to a podcast it freezes and lags up. Basically my computer is having serious lag issues and Loading times.
I've run Different tests to see if i could find the problem. I ran memtest 86 and memory diagnostic and my memory checked good. I've ran prime95 and no problems came up after running the test for 24 hours. I ran Seatools for windows to check my hard drive but everything checked okay there. I unplugged my video card and hooked up my on-board video thinking maybe it was something with the video card which was why i was getting lagging in games and stuff, but still had the same problem with onboard video.
I havn't had any blue screens of death yet which is wierd considering all it's dong. Even though I ran Seatools to check my hard drive i still get the feeling that it's my hard drive because of all the bad loading times and stuff. I've checked for viruses and spyware but don't feel it's that due to the Game issues and other issues that don't use internet hook up.
Now, the only thing i can come up with is that a while back I noticed either my cpu temps or my mobo temps seem to have had an issue or something. I was playing a game and All of a sudden i heard my computer warning sound go off to warn me that my temps were getting into the 50's and shocked me. First of all, I don't overclock. I just have my mobo set to warn me if the temps get into the 50's and my computer shuts down when it get's 65. after that my computer for some unknown reason got hotter then normal when i played a few games or heavy stuff or just was hotter then normal in other uses. My normal CPU temps and mobo temps were usually 32- 34 degrees at idle. They started to stay more at 38 degrees. Now i know 38 degrees isn't hot by my point is that they were hotter then they normaly are and there wasnt anything i did to the computer to cause it to get warmer. Right now my system temp is 38 degrees and cpu temp is 34 degrees.
Now like i said I know those temps are fine but how they acted and the little spike they did have weren't normal. I don't know if that has anything to do with what is wrong with it now but never the less the random heat ups and warm temps still meant that something went wrong somewhere. I'm not sure what my other options are. I think it's the Hardrive but not sure. I need some advise from others out there on what you think and what i can do to deduce the problem further. Any help would be great appreciated.

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Do you regularly maintain your computer?

1. run a disk defragmenter once a week (CCleaner is great)
2. update virus programs every day as well as scan every week (your problem could be virus related, boot into safe mode and run malwarebytes anti-malware superanti-spyware free and eset online scanner)
3. open your case every month and use a can of compressed air to clean out dust as well as clean fans etc. (Dust can cause all sorts of odd problems)

It is most likely the defragment problem but it could be 2 or 3 and even if one solves your problems 2 and 3 help prevent later problems

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
WOW!!!! I can't believe it. I ran adware and it found a trojan and it deleted it then i had to do a system restart and it came up to a windows xp screen and said something about deleting saved/documents/video something and now my system is running way better. My games arn't lagging and stuff. seems to be still running a little off so im installing Nortan doing a system scan. I JUST CAN'T believe that a virus would cause that kind of stuff. I had no idea it could do that...Thanks guys

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Viri can really bog down the system, since you had a trojan I would recommend reinstalling windows and changing all your passwords

btw CCleaner and compressed air wouldn't hurt

as for virus scanners the ones I originally posted will find most stuff but TDSS rootkit killer will eliminate some of the harder to get junk

I would recommend a reinstall after backing up everything so you get everything

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'll have to say, I've been messing with computers for a while and i havn't actually yet taken the time to learn how to do a back up. I guess now is the time to do it. I am curious on how you install all your backed up stuff after you reinstall windows. Not to mention how do you know what to back up. Do you back up everything?? And if you back up everything want that just carry the virus over once you reinstall windows. Now by reinstalling windows i'm assuming you mean completely erase my hardrive, format it then reinstall windwos correct.

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hey, thanks for the help everyone. You guys who take the time out to read all these and help people out deserve a medal or something. It really helps the average builder like me who is still learning this and that. I need to start reading these things more often and try to help were i can as well to give back to comunity. Again, thanks for helping me solver this problem that i was so far away from actually figuring out. Thanks to everyone who replied. This will teach me to make sure my virus software stays up to date. God bless guys.

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I actually downloaded and updated my Norton antivirus software, i also download that TDSS rootkit killer and ran adware. It's amazing but Adware caught it first time and took care of it. Norton found another one and took care of it. I ran TDSS rootkit killer and it didn't find anything. My computer still seems to being having some minor issues as if it's recovering from a cold. There are probally effects from this virus being removed . I'm just going to back up my hardrive and reformat and reinstall windows this weekend. I'll be changing my passwords to. This virus could be the reason someone was able to access my debt card info a couple weeks back and try to take money out of my bank account. I'll carefully read those guides and download all those suggested programs from the guide you gave me Joeimartinez , after my new install. Thanks again guys.

n_e_w_d_u_d_e

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
oh, by the way. I have a couple of downloaded games from Steam and I don't really want to have to download them again so i was going to back them up and then install them after reinstalling Windows. Will this be okay to do or would i be taking a risk carrying the virus over?