Followup to "1 on 1 game any takers?" by Larry McCarthy

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Hi all,

I just wanted to rub it in a bit:

I had two games against Larry after his challenge, first one was X-Tal
versus Bots. Larry had first pick and chose Bots. At turn 15, when 4
Cats Paws and 1 Automa were out of fuel, he surrendered.

The second game was Birds versus Fascists, I had first pick and grabbed
Birds. In turn 16 (or 17?) two Darkwings arrived on the Fascist
Homeworld and killed some 99 % of all Fascists living in the Echo
Cluster, after that he gave up (and asked if we were using Sphere,
because those Darkwings "had appeared from nowhere"...).

Matthias

oooh matthias,
you're my hero. ;)

Matthias schrieb:
> Hi all,

Maybe you should devote some minutes to reading the netiquette regarding names
in Headlines. Or do you just want to be shunned in future games because you
are such a childish player and winner?

Krischan

Christian Georg Becker wrote:
> Maybe you should devote some minutes to reading the netiquette regarding names
> in Headlines.

Oh, come on. If you look at the posts Matthias is referring to, you'll
notice that Larry put himself into the Subject line. And why not allow a
bit of schadenfreude after a glorious victory? :)

Stefan

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

Christian Georg Becker wrote:

> Maybe you should devote some minutes to reading the netiquette regarding names
> in Headlines. Or do you just want to be shunned in future games because you
> are such a childish player and winner?

To tell you the truth, I am just trying to provoke Larry to pick up our
third game again :).

And I dont think anyone in here apart from the occasional german
Blockwart is going to complain.

Matthias

Matthias schrieb:
> Christian Georg Becker wrote:
>

>> Maybe you should devote some minutes to reading the netiquette
>> regarding names
>> in Headlines. Or do you just want to be shunned in future games
>> because you
>> are such a childish player and winner?
>
> To tell you the truth, I am just trying to provoke Larry to pick up our
> third game again :).

And you think going ona public place and shouting "XYZ is a looser." you can
convince somebody that playing with you is fun?

> And I dont think anyone in here apart from the occasional german
> Blockwart is going to complain.

And this kind of escalation in what you probably might call friendly banter is
the reason I won't play ever with you again and don't recommend playing with
you to others. In public too.
You are an excellent player, this I saw. But you spoil(ed) the game with your
attitude.

Krischan

"Donovan" <spamfordonovan@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:17:27 +0200, Christian Georg Becker
> <cbecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
>

>>And you think going ona public place and shouting "XYZ is a looser." you
>>can
>>convince somebody that playing with you is fun?
>
> Well it does kind of make you want to play and kick Matthias' ass,
> just to be able to call him a loser in this newsgroup ;-)
>
>>> And I dont think anyone in here apart from the occasional german
>>> Blockwart is going to complain.
>>
>>And this kind of escalation in what you probably might call friendly
>>banter is
>>the reason I won't play ever with you again and don't recommend playing
>>with
>>you to others. In public too.
>>You are an excellent player, this I saw. But you spoil(ed) the game with
>>your
>>attitude.

<snipped>

> Back in the day (cough), we used to make fun of our opponents on Lord
> Firefall's on-site messageboard. We's basically report on any and
> every ship that we got our greedy hands on, along with some 'wow this
> is really easy' and 'I thought it would be more of a challenge'
> chatter.
>
> Anyway, if you don't want to be called a loser, don't be one.
> --
> Donovan

I agree with you Donovan!

Back in the day we used to make fun of everyone on IRC :)

Good playing Matthias

--

Regards,
Merlyn

Donovan

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:21:28 +0200, Christian Georg Becker
<cbecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

>There is a difference between making fun/playing a role and breaking the
>etiquette and just being rude. Basically being rude is what I accuse Matthias of.

Must be me then, because I absolutely fail to see any rudeness in his
original post. He just reports on the outcome of two games, never does
he even mention his opinion of the other guy.
--
Donovan
http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan

> You are an excellent player, this I saw. But you spoil(ed) the game with
your
> attitude.

Nah.. Matthias is a lousy player, but it's fun to play with him because of
his attitude ;-)

Harry

Donovan wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:21:28 +0200, Christian Georg Becker
>>There is a difference between making fun/playing a role and breaking the
>>etiquette and just being rude. Basically being rude is what I accuse Matthias of.
>
> Must be me then, because I absolutely fail to see any rudeness in his
> original post.

Same here.

Apart from that, Larry's original posts *asked* for a result like this
one. He challenged the whole newsgroup. So, in case Matthias tells the
truth (I currently see no evidence to doubt), this post was, well, a
nice anecdote :)

Stefan