Sign in with
Your question

HD5830 appears to have... died.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2010 10:30:39 PM

Hello.

So I turned my computer on today, and was greeting by my normally black BiOS loading flash/OS-selection screen covered with a green tint, complete with distorted font and logos. I decided that this was probably a driver issue, and attempted to boot into Windows to uninstall/reinstall the driver. The windows log-in screen continued this trend, although the normally blue background was streaky (think the background of Van Gogh's starry night) and the logos distorted. I was greeted with merely a black screen (without the tint, however). Seeing if merely a hard restart was necessary, I flicked off the power button, and restarted. The green tint and distortion persisted. I was able to get into safe mode, however. Even after uninstalling the driver, the issue persisted. I then opened the case and dusted. No go.
I'm sad now.
Any ideas?

Specs:
Intel Core i5-760 (stock)
GIGABYTE P55-USB3
G. Skill "Ripjaws" 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
XFX HD Radeon 5830
Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit edition.

More about : hd5830 appears died

a c 189 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 1:57:09 AM

What is your PSU? brand? model?
Have you checked the card temps?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 3:32:57 AM

If you put a a bad PSU or a bad case you will either A: not have enough power, or B: Have a heat problem.
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2010 10:16:50 PM

Like a champ, i forgot to include that information, wa1.
I'm using a Corsair TX750w PSU. Can't check the card temps - as the BiOS is nigh unreadable, and cannot get into windows. However, before the "death," it was acceptable.
As far as cooling, I have 4 case fans. One is absolutely enormous and located right next to my video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 10:48:25 PM

I would say talk to ATI about the peice of junk they gave you. ATI is NOT known for having bad products.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:13:04 PM

XFX agreed with me. They're RMA-ing the card, but I'd still kinda like to know what went wrong with a 2 month old card.
Any ideas?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 11:35:20 PM

I would say that it had a factory problem. did you have something else that was hot blowing its hot air on it? Did you OC it?
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:52:52 PM

No, I didn't. I figured I'm too bad with these thing to OC.
And it's right in between two huge fans, and has plenty of airflow around it.
Just makes me thing I have terrible luck - I bought this card because of a failed EVGA card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 11:55:40 PM

Haha I have bad luck too. I think that the PNY RAM I just ordered might not even be the right thing. lol. I think you just got a lemon and there is other explanation for it. I hope I helped you and hope that your new 5830 will work well. :D 
m
l
!