Grounding the MoBo (Properly setting the screws)

zombegon

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
A few screws I am using to install my MoBo are not going in all the way.

I have the proper amount of grounding bolts installed on the case, and have oriented the MoBo's grounding points with those bolts. After screwing in each MoBo screw, three of them are not seating properly. They screw in straight and true, but they do not screw in enough to make contact with the board. The screws and the grounding bolts are all in fine condition. The MoBo is not warped, nor is it in danger of falling from the case.

Is the MoBo properly grounded without these three screws making contact with the board? Is 7 out of 10 enough?

If not I will replace the screws and grounding bolts.

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen 3
CASE: NXZT Tempest 410 Case

Solution
Try different screws. Normally, the hardware bag that came with your case has at least two sizes that will work with your case standoffs. If you already have 7 installed, that's plenty, as long as they include at least two on each row. Some boards have two rows of standoffs, some three. And if one of the screws is too close to a ram slot, I leave it empty; same for the back row that is next to the hardrive and optical drive cages. If they are too hard to reach or the screws may be hard to remove, I leave those empty.
Try different screws. Normally, the hardware bag that came with your case has at least two sizes that will work with your case standoffs. If you already have 7 installed, that's plenty, as long as they include at least two on each row. Some boards have two rows of standoffs, some three. And if one of the screws is too close to a ram slot, I leave it empty; same for the back row that is next to the hardrive and optical drive cages. If they are too hard to reach or the screws may be hard to remove, I leave those empty.

Solution