What voltage ram do I use?

Roxas2030

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hi I would like to know what determines how much voltage I need when buying ram. I know stuff like DDR3 and 1600 MHz because it says on the motherboard but I know nothing about voltage. How do I find out what kind of voltage I need?

For now I have the Phenom II x4 970 BE and ASrock 970 extreme 4 mobo and I was told I need 1.5v for ram. Why is that?

Solution
Mostly the cpu determines what voltage of the ram if the memory controller is on the cpu. Intel cpu's have that and with each version of processor the requirement is changed. The gulftown used 1.65v and the Sandy Bridge used 1.5v and these are maximum voltages since you can always use less voltage just not more. I'm sure AMD is the same way. But to be safe because you don't know 1.5v will work for any setup. A great tool for finding out things is Google search , you will be surprised what you can find out with it , and most of the memory manufacturers have a memory tester that will tell you what is in your system and what you can put.
Mostly the cpu determines what voltage of the ram if the memory controller is on the cpu. Intel cpu's have that and with each version of processor the requirement is changed. The gulftown used 1.65v and the Sandy Bridge used 1.5v and these are maximum voltages since you can always use less voltage just not more. I'm sure AMD is the same way. But to be safe because you don't know 1.5v will work for any setup. A great tool for finding out things is Google search , you will be surprised what you can find out with it , and most of the memory manufacturers have a memory tester that will tell you what is in your system and what you can put.

Solution