November 18, 2010 12:04:19 AM

Current Computer Components
Phenom II X4 B45 @ 3.4Ghz
Cooler Master Vortex Plus HSF
8gb DDR3 1333Mhz
MSI 880GM-E43 with IGP Radeon 4250
Pixxo 450W PSU
Pixxo CI-8102H Black MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

So I have done a fair amount of research on this already and am getting close to the point to make that final purchasing decision. The only games I am currently playing are Starcraft 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, I am also folding with an SMP client at the moment and seeing if the GPU can get better PPD(at 6000 currently with SMP). I game at 1600X900 on this computer, I have not gamed on this system much because of the lackluster IGP (Radeon 4250). If I do play SC2 on it, it is on low detail. I have no idea how people can play it like that! It looks horrible! On my main machine I am using an XFX 5770 that I bought for $120. I want to game on at least high detail with decent FPS.

I am considering these 3 LP Graphics cards

PowerColor AX5750 1GBD5-LH @ $150

Palit GeForce GTS 450 @ $130
and at the cheap end the
MSI Radeon HD 5670 512MB @ $87 shipped

but at the moment, I can't really justify $150 dollars for the top end 5750, I also find it hard to swallow that I would be paying $30 more for 5750 than what I spent on the 5770. I was originally leaning towards the Palit 450, but recently I found the 5670 in low profile for $40 less than the GTS 450. I hear Nvidia cards currently have quite an advantage on folding and I also hear SC2 works better with Nvidia. In reality I could afford any of these cards. What says Tom's community, should I save $40 and go with the decent 5670, or should I take a plunge and give the GTS 450 a shot? I can't think of a compelling reason to go for the LP 5750, unless I want CF between it and my current card, but that would have to be done sans CF cable(my main computer can CF with current mobo).

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

More about : low profile graphics money

a c 214 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 12:21:25 AM

I have a 5570 right now,it is an okay card doesn't quite do well in more demanding games but it does the job,it came with the computer,But when i play L4D2 i can play everything maxed out and it stays at 60FPS the whole time.As for starcraft, i can play everything on High and it will always stay above 50 unless in a huge battle then drops below 30FPS.I would reccomened going with the 5670,i haven't heard much about it but if i get the FPS i get with a 5570 i'm sure the 5670 will only improve on it.As for saving money igo with the 5670,but if you want great performance i'd go higher.Btw i am playing at the same resolution you have:1600x900.
Also with the same comp specs you have,phenom x4 965 B.E.
Hope i could help.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 12:32:09 AM

For the card you listed it is actually $125.99(with the %10 percent Promo code BFDESKVGA) - $30 Mail in Rebate = $95.99 But unfortunately I need a Low profile card Or I would be tempted to get this or a Geforce 460 768mb when a deal comes across

I swear, this is the last time I use a SFF case. I thought it would be really cool and I never thought I would want to put a GPU card in it. What a pain, you pay a premium for a smaller card and have a lot less choices.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 1:33:06 AM

Looking at your current low PSU, i guess you will better with HD5670 or HD5750 (max), don't go higher than that, i'm not sure whether your PSu can handle higher card...
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 2:05:07 AM

I didn't even look at the PSU, it doesn't look like it's very good quality.
Here is a single slot 5770 for $140.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But like he said if your PSU doesn't have enough power required, then be on the safe side and go with the 5670.5670 will max out SC2 on ur resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 2:20:17 AM

The PSU is more than capable, I read of a person with the same PSU using an OC i7 and the palit 450 with no issues. Also mine maxed out with prime 95 and furmark(on the poor little IGP) was only pulling 160W from the wall, that's still 290 W away from max power it claims it is capable of, Plenty of head room for most mid range cards. It also has 2 lines of +12V with a combined 35A across it. Only complaint about this PSU is the fan, it is the loudest part of my build. The case can accommodate any other micro ATX PSU, and I have looked at others, thinking about getting a quieter one, but the Available power goes down with the ones that would actually fit in my case(preferably smaller than 5"X4"X2.5", the current dimensions of this Pixxo PSU Model EL-450). I also think PSU numbers are highly inflated, you get a dependable PSU and measure your draw, you should be able to compute whether or not the max draw of a new card will fit under your available power or not. I personally would be comfortable with a 6850 on this PSU if the case could support it.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 2:23:11 AM

cyrusfox said:
The PSU is more than capable, I read of a person with the same PSU using an OC i7 and the palit 450 with no issues. Also mine maxed out with prime 95 and furmark(on the poor little IGP) was only pulling 160W from the wall, that's still 290 W away from max power it claims it is capable of, Plenty of head room for most mid range cards. It also has 2 lines of +12V with a combined 35A across it. Only complaint about this PSU is the fan, it is the loudest part of my build. The case can accommodate any other micro ATX PSU, and I have looked at others, thinking about getting a quieter one, but the Available power goes down with the ones that would actually fit in my case(preferably smaller than 5"X4"X2.5", the current dimensions of this Pixxo PSU Model EL-450). I also think PSU numbers are highly inflated, you get a dependable PSU and measure your draw, you should be able to compute whether or not the max draw of a new card will fit under your available power or not. I personally would be comfortable with a 6850 on this PSU if the case could support it.

^
Suit yourself, buddy... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 2:26:34 AM

purple stank said:
I didn't even look at the PSU, it doesn't look like it's very good quality.
Here is a single slot 5770 for $140.

But like he said if your PSU doesn't have enough power required, then be on the safe side and go with the 5670.5670 will max out SC2 on ur resolution.

Thanks but I don't need a single slot card, I need a low profile/ half height GPU card(check the links on the first post to see what I am talking about or here is a picture comparing normal height slot to half-height). I could use 3 slots(length wise) and still be okay with my set up, the issue is it needs to be low profile. The ones I have listed seem to be the fastest choices available with that criteria met.
m
l
November 18, 2010 2:38:08 AM

Go with GTS 450. its a better option.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 18, 2010 4:05:40 AM

I was unclear on how many amps you had on your 12/v rail,now that i know i can better help you out in your search.
I do not think they make 5770's in low profile,or i haven't been able to find one.
Best that i can see is a GTS 450 or a GTS 250. The 250 has a 256bit but the 450 has GDDR5 and it's alot newer.I would reccomned going with the 450 it really does seem like the best bang for your buck in this situation.

GTS 450 $130 Free shipping and comes with Hawx2.
I believe with the 450 you can play SC2 no problem with everything maxed out,i think it is compared with the 5770 and i know that card can run Starcraft 2 no problem maxed out in every way.
Goodluck
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:26:27 AM

I would advice go with GTS 450 oc from MSI
m
l
!