Best way to configure old components

bwww65

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
The other day I decided I wanted to get some use out of the old parts laying around in my basement. I would like to build a small system for web and to play/stream high definition video on my tv, since my Vaio VGN-S460 has trouble playing 720p video especially on an external display. The problem is I cannot decide which setup to use. Here's what I have:

Processors:
Intel Pentium 4 550
Intel Pentium D 840

Motherboards:
Abit SG80DC with AGP 4x slot
Intel 915GAG with PCI-E x16 slot

Video Cards:
ATI Raedon 7500 AGP
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 LE PCI-E

Seagate 80 GB SATA HD
A Bunch of Power Supplies and 1GB DDR2 modules laying around

Obviously the Geforce is the better video card, the dual core Pentium D is the better processor, and the Intel 915GAG is the better motherboard with better features such as PCI express and dual channel DDR2. The issue is that the Intel 915GAG does not support Pentium D's. I can't decide if i should use the better Pentium D with the crappy Abit motherboard and Raedon 7500, or if I should use the slower single core Pentium 4 with the better Intel motherboard and Geforce 7300 LE. Which set up do you think would perform better for playing HD movies, flash games and browsing the web?

both boards have DDR2 and SATA, so this should not be a problem. I do have an extra copy of Windows 7, so I would either run that or Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!