Need to copy old data from a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/la..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 2:20:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd (More info?)

Hello!

I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does not
turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is dead
(happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 2:20:08 AM

ANTant@zimage.com writes:
> I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
> since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
> since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
> do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
> HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
> USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
> CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

If it's 850GB it should have the standard laptop IDE connector and
work fine in a generic USB laptop drive enclosure. Those are about 30
bucks depending on where you shop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 7:03:24 AM

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@nospam.invalid&gt; wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com writes:
> > I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
> > since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
> > since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
> > do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
> > HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
> > USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
> > CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

> If it's 850GB it should have the standard laptop IDE connector and
> work fine in a generic USB laptop drive enclosure. Those are about 30
> bucks depending on where you shop.

You meant 850 MB. I don't think 850 GB even exists today as a single HDD.
:)  I do prefer USB one so I can easily hook and use any laptop drives on
ANY computers with USB connections.

I found one on compusa.com and in stock with a local store:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

Is the one I want to get? I have another question. How do I use it since
I had never seen or used one before. I know I have to take the HDD out
off the notebook/laptop. Is this enclosure like a slot/docking station?
Also, does Linux (Kernel 2.6.10) support them easily since I noticed
I need to install drivers in Windows and Mac OS?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 2:57:26 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello!

> I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does not
> turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
> 15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is dead
> (happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

> I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
> since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
> since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
> do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
> HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
> USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
> CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

> Thank you in advance. :)

Remove the disk and give us a model number? Without knowing what interface
it has, it is impossible to tell what kind of adapter/controller is
needed.

Arno
March 4, 2005 6:30:22 PM

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
Hello!

I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does not
turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is dead
(happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

If your going to get an external usb enclosure, get one for 3.5" drives and
then purchase the ide notebook adapter cable. The price difference isn't
much and at least that way you won't be limited to only using it on that
laptop drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 8:43:09 PM

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > Hello!

> > I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does not
> > turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
> > 15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is dead
> > (happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

> > I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
> > since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
> > since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
> > do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
> > HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
> > USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
> > CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

> > Thank you in advance. :)

> Remove the disk and give us a model number? Without knowing what interface
> it has, it is impossible to tell what kind of adapter/controller is
> needed.

OK, I will look. I hope it is easyto find. I thought all notebook/laptop
HDDs use the same size. I am going to assume IDE.
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 9:20:55 PM

> Hello!

> I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does not
> turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
> 15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is dead
> (happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

> I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop machine
> since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the notebook
> since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.). How would I
> do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter. I assume the
> HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS. Is there an
> USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's Electronics, PC Club,
> CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

> If your going to get an external usb enclosure, get one for 3.5" drives and
> then purchase the ide notebook adapter cable. The price difference isn't
> much and at least that way you won't be limited to only using it on that
> laptop drive.

Are you saying I can use 3.5" drives for regular desktop HDDs too? If so,
then that's not a bad idea. I don't know about hardwares so...

I did a quick search on CompUSA and found these available in local
store. External USB HDD enclosure:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

I cannot seem to find any notebook IDE HDD adapter cable. Am I using the
wrong keywords? I tried notebook IDE adapter cable, but did not get any
hits.

Which enclosure should I get or are they all identical? I know the first
one support 1394 and costs more. I don't know if I need that. Is it
popular?
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 10:32:05 PM

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does
> not turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
> 15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is
> dead (happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

> I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop
> machine since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the
> notebook since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.).
> How would I do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter.

Yep, something like
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

> I assume the HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS.

Yep.

> Is there an USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's
> Electronics, PC Club, CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

Yep, just about any designed for those 2.5" drives should be fine.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 10:32:06 PM

Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> > I have a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop from a decade ago. It does
> > not turn on fully anymore even though its loud fan does (still cold air after
> > 15 minutes). No POST, no beep, nothing! I assume the motherboard is
> > dead (happend in the past, but now it doesn't turn on anymore).

> She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

Ewww! No.

> > I would like to try removing its old 2.5" 850 MB HDD to a desktop
> > machine since I would like to recover its data. I don't care about the
> > notebook since it is very old and slow (Pentium 90; 8 MB of RAM, etc.).
> > How would I do that? I assume I would need a special hardware adapter.

> Yep, something like
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

How about USB types so I don't have to open computer cases and fiddle
with the inside? :)

> > I assume the HDD is in FAT32 since it runs the original Windows 95 OS.

> Yep.

It has been so long I used Windows 95. :)

> > Is there an USB hardware adapter from retail stores like Fry's
> > Electronics, PC Club, CompUSA, etc. in Los Angeles area?

> Yep, just about any designed for those 2.5" drives should be fine.

Got any recommendations to get? Good ones that is. ;)
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 4:19:06 PM

There are hardware adapters to go from a notebook drive to a standard
IDE port on a disktop motherboard. Companies that handle adapters and
cables have such things. Sometimes.
You are welcome.

!