CompactFlash to Memory Stick Adapter

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 27, 2005 11:27:26 PM

I recently got a Sony TV that can read memory stick directly but my
camera uses compactFlash. I want to get an adapter that can convert CF
to MS if there is such adapter.

Does anyone know where I can get such adapter? Thanks in advance.
--
B.
Anonymous

You can either get a multi-format card reader (cheap as dirt), or
here's the first link I found - Google is your friend..
http://www.memoryx.net/ts0mms2cf.html
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 3:03:59 AM

Only if you make assumptions about what he is doing...

But I'm glad to see YOU added a lot more useful information, and a few
insults thrown in.

Nice to meet you too. Did you score enough points to make you a bigger
person?
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 3:12:47 AM

Oh, and just to enlighten you, regarding that reader that will do
NOTHING for the OP...

1. Attach reader to PC.
2. Insert CF card in reader.
3. Read files to PC.
4. Insert MS card in reader.
5. Copy files to MS.
6. Use MS in TV.

The actual steps depend on the card-readers abilities, but if you think
it through...... Or do I need to talk slower?
Anyway, your better solution is....?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 7:16:45 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote:

> Oh, and just to enlighten you, regarding that reader that will do
> NOTHING for the OP...
>
> 1. Attach reader to PC.
> 2. Insert CF card in reader.
> 3. Read files to PC.
> 4. Insert MS card in reader.
> 5. Copy files to MS.
> 6. Use MS in TV.
>
> The actual steps depend on the card-readers abilities, but if you
> think it through...... Or do I need to talk slower?
> Anyway, your better solution is....?

I suspect the OP was looking for a solution that didn't involve
inserting a PC in the middle of the operation. Something a bit more
direct.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> You can either get a multi-format card reader (cheap as dirt), or
> here's the first link I found - Google is your friend..
> http://www.memoryx.net/ts0mms2cf.html

If you were as good at reading as you are at making a fool of yourself you'd
see that both your suggestions will do NOTHING for the original poster.

If Google is your friend it certainly isn't choosy!

John Mares
January 28, 2005 11:20:07 AM

On 27 Jan 2005 20:27:26 -0800
In message <1106886446.184725.21770@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
"b" <bxli2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently got a Sony TV that can read memory stick directly
> but my camera uses compactFlash. I want to get an adapter
> that can convert CF to MS if there is such adapter.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get such adapter? Thanks in advance.

If you don't find a specific converter (it would have to be a
usage-specific dongle) this will work:

I've been using a SanDisk USB2 card reader that accepts all the card
formats. The reader is also a writer. After you copy your CF data to
a PC, remove the CF card, insert a memory stick and copy the photos to
the stick for use on the TV.

And thanks for the info! I can copy to a spare stick I have and see
what my work looks like on the various uncalibrated Sony TV's at local
stores! (I haven't been tv shopping since I got a plasma monitor
months ago and didn't know. FYI & FWIW it was the 3 dimensional look
of a three colour per tube monitor that hooked me into photography.
Getting a dSLR set the hook firmly for life.)

Jeff
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 11:43:25 AM

Eric Schreiber wrote:
> chrlz@go.com wrote:
>

>>Oh, and just to enlighten you, regarding that reader that will do
>>NOTHING for the OP...
>>
>>1. Attach reader to PC.
>>2. Insert CF card in reader.
>>3. Read files to PC.
>>4. Insert MS card in reader.
>>5. Copy files to MS.
>>6. Use MS in TV.
>>
>>The actual steps depend on the card-readers abilities, but if you
>>think it through...... Or do I need to talk slower?
>>Anyway, your better solution is....?
>

> I suspect the OP was looking for a solution that didn't involve
> inserting a PC in the middle of the operation. Something a bit more
> direct.

I am sure he/she was, but then there are the realities of the situation...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 28, 2005 1:29:08 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My goal is to get an adapter
that plugs into the TV's memory stick slot, and I can just plug the CF
to the adapter and be able to view the pics on the TV. I really don't
want to transfer the pics from CF to MS using the PC first then plug
the MS to TV. It's too cumbersome. I want a simple solution.

Thanks again.

b wrote:
> I recently got a Sony TV that can read memory stick directly but my
> camera uses compactFlash. I want to get an adapter that can convert
CF
> to MS if there is such adapter.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get such adapter? Thanks in advance.
> --
> B.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 1:41:13 PM

> Only if you make assumptions about what he is doing...
>
> But I'm glad to see YOU added a lot more useful information, and a few
> insults thrown in.
>
> Nice to meet you too. Did you score enough points to make you a bigger
> person?

That is for you to judge, but tell me which part of "I want to get an
adapter that can convert CF
to MS if there is such adapter." is hard to understand?

No assumptions required.

John Mares
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 1:41:14 PM

John Mares wrote:
> <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
>
>>Only if you make assumptions about what he is doing...
>>
>>But I'm glad to see YOU added a lot more useful information, and a few
>>insults thrown in.
>>
>>Nice to meet you too. Did you score enough points to make you a bigger
>>person?
>

> That is for you to judge, but tell me which part of "I want to get an
> adapter that can convert CF
> to MS if there is such adapter." is hard to understand?
>
> No assumptions required.
>
> John Mares

I want a car that will do 0 to 100 in 2 seconds, stop in 6 feet, and
costs only $500. Now don't bother me by telling me that there is no
such thing, I don't want to hear it. Sigh.

The person was trying to help with a proven solution, even if it is not
the one the OP hoped to get.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 1:51:10 PM

B wrote:
>I recently got a Sony TV that can read >memory stick directly but my
>camera uses compactFlash. I want to >get an adapter that can convert CF
>to MS if there is such adapter.
>Does anyone know where I can get such >adapter?

First, I'd try my local full-service camera store. The adapter does exist.
In my experience, the camera store guy didn't know of it - until I pointed out
where on the Web I'd seen an article mentioning it. He got one.
Second, try eBay. Always lots of digicam stuff there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, weather, Internet Gun Show
<I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 1:51:11 PM

GLC1173 wrote:
> B wrote:
>
>>I recently got a Sony TV that can read >memory stick directly but my
>>camera uses compactFlash. I want to >get an adapter that can convert CF
>>to MS if there is such adapter.
>>Does anyone know where I can get such >adapter?
>

> First, I'd try my local full-service camera store. The adapter does exist.
> In my experience, the camera store guy didn't know of it - until I pointed out
> where on the Web I'd seen an article mentioning it. He got one.
> Second, try eBay. Always lots of digicam stuff there.
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, weather, Internet Gun Show
> <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
> official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>

I found, one, MS to CF adapter, but it is designed to let you plug a MS
into a CF card, not the other way around.

I really doubt the existence of such an adapter (plug CF to MS).
But it would be an elegant solution to the OP's problem. Would like to
see such and adapter, if such exists.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 2:08:06 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:45:39 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

>The person was trying to help with a proven solution, even if it is not
>the one the OP hoped to get.

No. He provided two supposed solutions, one of which did not apply at all, and
the other of which provided a solution to the exact reverse of the situation
postulated by the OP.

In other words, he provided no information of any value whatever.

-- Larry
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 5:50:01 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:13:56 GMT, "John Mares" <john@psdsoft.com>
wrote:

><chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
>> You can either get a multi-format card reader (cheap as dirt), or
>> here's the first link I found - Google is your friend..
>> http://www.memoryx.net/ts0mms2cf.html
>
>If you were as good at reading as you are at making a fool of yourself you'd
>see that both your suggestions will do NOTHING for the original poster.

Why not?
A multi-format card reader will allow the OP to put the pics on the
card of his choice, then insert into the TV.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

On 27 Jan 2005 20:27:26 -0800, "b" <bxli2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently got a Sony TV that can read memory stick directly but my
> camera uses compactFlash. I want to get an adapter that can convert CF
> to MS if there is such adapter.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get such adapter? Thanks in advance.

MS is smaller than CF, so no adapter is available.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 8:04:06 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:04:05 +1100, Ken Oaf <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote:

>MS is smaller than CF, so no adapter is available.

That is not necessarily true. There are many adapters made for plugging larger
devices into smaller slots (e.g., CardBus or pcm-cia).

-- Larry
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 28, 2005 9:53:31 PM

b wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for all of the suggestions. My goal is to get an adapter
> that plugs into the TV's memory stick slot, and I can just plug the CF
> to the adapter and be able to view the pics on the TV. I really don't
> want to transfer the pics from CF to MS using the PC first then plug
> the MS to TV. It's too cumbersome. I want a simple solution.
>
> Thanks again.

> b wrote:
>
>>I recently got a Sony TV that can read memory stick directly but my
>>camera uses compactFlash. I want to get an adapter that can convert
>
> CF
>
>>to MS if there is such adapter.
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can get such adapter? Thanks in advance.
>>--
>>B.

Ahhh, yes, the quest for the simple solution. Good luck with this one.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 29, 2005 4:45:06 AM

>That is for you to judge, but tell me which part of
>"I want to get an adapter that can convert CF
>to MS if there is such adapter."
> is hard to understand?

It's very easy to understand. Do YOU not understand how a multi-card
reader will allow you to do EXACTLY that?

Avoidance of other question (posted below) noted.

Continued difficulty with realising how a card reader allows transfer
of files to/from CF and MS noted.

Continued difficulty with realising that you can, in fact, do other
things with MS cards and TV's and PC's and CF cards also noted.

Also took liberty of a brief look at poster's history in other groups.
John is certainly someone to be taken seriously........ (O;
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 29, 2005 4:50:31 AM

Larry, please explain why a multi-card reader will NOT allow transfer
of data from CF to MS? I'm REALLY interested.
Perhaps you should stick to billiards..
!