Need a little help. I had a previous post for a fast video-encoding machine. Now that SB is out and the reviews are rave, I want to build one (first timer). Do not need monitor, keyboard, mouse, GPU optional unless needed for video encode and decode. Will use PC for external monitors, but only for normal things, no gaming.
1. Fast PC for Video Encoding (Gaming not necessary). Lot of HD video of baby girl still in files, want to burn HD (is bluray burner required for this?)
2. SAve personal DVD's to IPAD or NAS Server.
2. Run some business applications reliably (Quickbooks, SAPGUI etc)
4. Be available for remote access
5. Future upgradeability
6. Good sandforce SSD is a must for boot drive, have one on my laptop and cannot go back. Small data drive ok, have 6 GB NAS storage.
7. Budget is $1200, but willing to spend a little more for future proofing.
Would I be better off getting a workstation build that allows a second processor to be added later. At some point when I find time, I want to be able to add virtual machines to run server software for R&D work and testing. If that means too much extra invested money sitting around, I would rather wait, but otherwise, I don't mind springing for an expandable workstation/server now.