Sign in with
Your question

4GB VS. 8GB

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 18, 2011 6:29:05 PM

I recently--may be 4 months ago--bought a Toshiba Portege r835-p70. I took out the HD to use as an external and installed a 128GB Crucial SSD. This thing is fast, but I thought I might max out everything out by upgrading the RAM from 4gb to 8gb. I want to buy crucial again, but I am a little worried about the BIOS issue I may run into and what model of RAM I should buy (I don't want to exceed my computer's limits). I will install this myself, unlike the SSD, so I am a little worried. Also, I was wondering if it would mess with my WiDi. I am a novice at best, but I am trying to learn.

I don't use my computer for much, but I just want the thing to be running at full capacity. I'd appreciate any info you have for me, as I want to order it soon. Thanks again and happy holidays.

More about : 4gb 8gb

a c 80 } Memory
December 18, 2011 6:55:01 PM

What application(s) are you using that will take advantage of the additional memory? You'll gain no performance improvement unless current peak memory utilization already is close to 4 GB.
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:06:01 PM

I've heard that your downloading speed can increase. I download a lot via firefox. Also, wouldn't this help in the future once my computer becomes older, so that it won't bog down so much. I don't know because of the SSD and my plan to transfer most files to an external once my memory is at a certain percentage. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue. I appreciate your response.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
December 18, 2011 8:35:58 PM

It definitely can't improve your download speed. Don't believe everything you hear; check your current peak memory utilization and then make your decision based on facts. An older computer gets slower only if you install more background applications.
m
l
a c 105 } Memory
December 18, 2011 9:51:33 PM

Here is one article on 4gb vs. 8gb:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

I suggest you go to your favorite ram web site and access their configurator. Enter the model of your laptop, and you should get a list of compatible parts.

Ram is cheap, go for it.
m
l
!