New Build - "Blue Sea" ( critique please =D )

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hey everybody, I'm trying to get a SB build done around April that performs extremely well. I had to cheap out with
'some' components and not get the absolute high end because parts are so expensive in Australia.

Example 1 (Corsair 800D - AUS = 380$, US = 270$)
Example 2 (Intel i7-2600K - AUS = 390$, US = 320$)

I am looking into having this build which includes all blue/black parts and UV blue hosing. Please look at pictures of each part and try and imagine how good it looks :ange:

"Blue Sea" Rig: :whistle:

Case: Corsair 650D (I LOVE THIS F@#$ING CASE!!! xDDDDDDD)
PSU: Corsair HX-850w
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe

RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB 1600mhz CL8
GPU: HIS HD6950 / GTX 560 (depending on aesthetic values and performance of GTX560 on launch)
^Will be looking into future SLI/Crossfire (Birthday/Christmas)^

Pictures of some parts:
http://tinyurl.com/Corsair650D
http://tinyurl.com/CorsairHX850
http://tinyurl.com/P8P67DELUXE
http://tinyurl.com/Corsairdominatorblue

Watercooling for "Blue Sea" rig:

Rad/Pump/Reservoir/CPU block: XSPC Rasa 750 240mm Watercooling KIT
(comes with 24-pin jumper, fan grills, tubing clamps and little knick-knacks that make it the best price/performance seeing it costs 130$ and the Swiftech apogee XT block costs 100$ alone)
Fluid: Feser Pure water (I will be adding no colour additives, only EXTREMELY blue UV reactive tubing)
Additives: Feser Base corrosion blocker and IandH Dead-Water
Tubing: 2.5 Meter Feser Tube UV hose - 1/2" ID (3/4" OD); UV Blue
Lighting: 2 x Logisys 12" UV Reactive Cold Cathodes
XSPC Kit laid out: http://xspc.biz/rasa750rs240kit.php

Now that is taken care of; what do you think my maximum overclock would be with the WC setup, keep in mind it's pure water for best heat transfer

Please Rate/comment on my rig and tell me what you think ;D...
Until next time, thank you for reading
-Intel1502

PS: BTW - I love the Colours blue/black if you haven't already noticed :na:

PPS: Does anyone know where I can get the same WC parts but at a lower price; or even lower shipping (Just to ship 180$ of WC parts = 100$)

^I agree with this. 32nm has made for cooler processors here. Hence the higher default clocks.

Also, you don't tell us much about your uses but based on the video card and your enthusiasm, I assume it will be mainly for gaming? If this is the case, the i7 will be a waste of an extra $100 over the i5. The only advantage of the i7 over the i5 is hyperthreading, which will be useless for my guesses at what you will be using this computer for. The 2500k is only 0.1GHz slower and still sports the unlocked multiplier.

"I had to cheap out with
'some' components and not get the absolute high end"

huh? Looks like a high-end, uncompromised system to me. I mean, 8GB of ram (4GB is still enough), spending an extra $100 for hyperthreading, a watercooling system, and getting the second best single card that AMD has to offer?

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Would I not even gain a mere ~100mhz extra overclock with watercooling? It is something I really want to pursue and the high maintenance is something I can uphold. When I said that I'm not going to get "super high end" I meant like I would have liked a gtx580 but that costs 700$, I would have liked a maximus 4 but thats 500$ ect ect. Yes, my main goal is gaming :lol:

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Let's be honest. What you're going for here is epeen appeal. You might as well drop it in oil, at least you wouldn't be creating the same exact machine that every other "gamer" is building.

You can drop that 1k on a good water cooling setup that will net you another 100mhz or you can spend that same 1k on 3-5x monitors and run a real gaming rig. My 860 is still running under 50c @ 3.8 on air with hyperthreading after a year of collecting dust. Meanwhile I'm still loving the *** out of 3150x1680. It's your call.

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

The watercooling isn't 1k (I think you're talking about 1000$), its 180$. In australia the N-DH14 = 120$ which is pretty much the same

Water cooling is more like 500 and that's my kind of set up (120.2 + 120.2 + 2 6850 full blocks + 1 Heat Killer) (which I don't have the money nor do I want to try doing because I'm scared of leaks). So even just a CPU loop is only 220$. I'm happy that you went for water cooling instead of fake water cooling like the H70 or H50. Gawd I hate when people say it is "True" water cooling.'

That mobo and ram though is kind of a dumb choice IMO. The P67 Pro from Asus is good enough and 4gb of Dominator or 8gb G.Skill (cheaper) is good enough pricing wise. Can't judge though since your in a different country.

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Thank you for supporting me in something I want to do (watercooling) and seeing Its only 100$ over the H70 for a complete dual rad system w/ UV lighting (aus pricing) I can't really say no.

The P67 Deluxe really is my favorite board and I won't give it up! But, if there is a newer board that comes out with a neater I/O I will probably opt. in for that.
In my area the only 4GB RAM is cheap and nasty 1333Mhz CL9 RAM and I do tend to find myself running low and crashing in minecraft due to not enough ram
(I know this game will be stressing out my 5Ghz CPU + 6950 [lol]) - So I believe the colour co-ordinated 8GB sticks that come with fan are really a perfect choice in my situation.

mrhoshos96

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
For real what are the benefits of having a nice looking build from the inside of the case?
You will be looking at the monitor not the inside of your case well, that's just my opinion on this also, it's a waste of money.
About the ram they aren't worth the money and, they are (4x2gb)kits which means no future upgrades, here is an example:
these g.skill (2x4gb) kits are faster lower voltage more future proof and $50 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231401
While as the ones you've chosen aren't cheap come with 2 noisy fans that you won't benefit from aren't as fast as the g.skill one's have higher voltage and they aren't future proof
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145314&Tpk=CMP8GX3M4A1600C8
And, as said above water cooling this build is overkill and a waste of money anyway, I wish you good luck with the build.

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Im sorry I had to do this but it's blindingly simple. IIMMM NOT AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERICAN....
The G-skill RAM you linked isn't available. Why would I want a nice looking build from the inside of my case? I'm not insane (I hope) but I'd rather a neat colour co-ordinated build through my window than a big mess - I am a perfectionist and will not settle for a untidy, "unperfect" build. I've currently got a monitor (22" 1920x1080) and It's all I need, I tried eyefinity at a local store and I'm not a fan, if I change my mind I can always save up and buy another 2 monitors. If I don't like the aesthetic values of my build I'll be wanting to replace all my parts; It's kind of a "get it right the first time" situation. about the noisy fans, I've got a 50cm fan blowing air around so it's not really going to affect me when I've got my headsets on.

Thanks/ Intel1502 :pt1cable: