Take Canon SD200 battery charger to Europe?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 27, 2005 11:28:54 PM

Will the included battery charger that comes with the US-spec SD200
work with UK and European voltage?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:10:30 AM

Doesn't it say on the label?? I just checked 3 of my chargers, and
every one specifies `Input: 100-240V`. If that's what it says, then it
will be fine provided you have a suitable plug-pin adapter, and they
are pretty easy to find.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:30:42 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 21:10:30 -0800, chrlz@go.com wrote:
> Doesn't it say on the label?? I just checked 3 of my chargers, and
> every one specifies `Input: 100-240V`.

Well, to be more exacting: It should _also_ state "50-60 cps" --
especially if it is a transformer type.

There are direct plug-in, solid state switcher type power supplies
that use no step-down transformer -- and which are way lighter, too.
I found a proper voltage, solid state switcher type power supply
in a local 2nd Hand Store ('twas spec'd for a motorola cell phone)
($2 IIRC), and swapped out the DC plug on it to one that fits both my
Kodak DC-280 and Nikon CP 2000 cameras. A Great Feature that it has is
the fold-away AC plug -- makes for simple, carefree packing. All you
need past that is a slip-over plug adapter to enable the US-style
plug to poke into a "european" socket.

Beyond that, I use a Panasonic, 4-cell, 100-240VAC, 50-60 cps, fold-
away plug (also!), wall wart-style, NiMH charger -- which also employs
a solid state switcher type power supply.

Together, they are a very light, very compact combination for
traveling with already-over-packed suitcases. :-)

I once let all the smoke out of a 110vac, 60cps, wall wart transformer
powered charger when plugged in to a "normal" 110VAC outlet on Bonaire.
The mains there are 110VAC, _50CPS_. Those cheap (def.: Made in China)
60 CPS transformers are not going to survive long at 50 CPS. (Even
large, quality manufactured 60 CPS transformers will hum and overheat
on 50 CPS power.)

HTH
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK
January 29, 2005 5:01:39 AM

Thanks for the extra info Jonesy - I didn't know trannies were all that
fussy about cycles. Fact filed for later use!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 5:12:47 PM

Nick wrote:
> Will the included battery charger that comes with the US-spec SD200
> work with UK and European voltage?

Beware of trying to use one of the universal travel voltage convertors
to regulate 220v down to 110v, and then plugging in a U.S.-only (110v)
transformer for electronics (like laptop or PDA). It can fry your
transformer! The travel voltage convertor is meant for things like
electric razors, which are not sensitive to the voltage wavefore shape.
Ordinay sine waves from AC can end up looking like square waves, and
many electronics don't tolerate that well!

--Wilt
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:51:28 AM

In article <1107036767.784751.92840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:

> Nick wrote:
> > Will the included battery charger that comes with the US-spec SD200
> > work with UK and European voltage?
>
> Beware of trying to use one of the universal travel voltage convertors
> to regulate 220v down to 110v, and then plugging in a U.S.-only (110v)
> transformer for electronics (like laptop or PDA). It can fry your
> transformer! The travel voltage convertor is meant for things like
> electric razors, which are not sensitive to the voltage wavefore shape.
> Ordinay sine waves from AC can end up looking like square waves, and
> many electronics don't tolerate that well!
>
> --Wilt

It depends on the type. TRIAC based converters are essentially a the
same design as a light dimmer. The RMS voltage is 120 but the peak
voltage and waveform is a mess. They're usually labeled as being for
heaters and motors only. Wattage is typically over 500W for a small
adaptor.

Transformer converters produce a nice 120V sine wave that is compatible
with all electronics rated for 120V and whatever frequency you're on.
The downside is that the wattage per pound ratio is really bad. They're
usually rated for 50 to 200 watts and they're almost as heavy as a solid
block of iron.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:38:58 AM

chrlz@go.com writes:
>Thanks for the extra info Jonesy - I didn't know trannies were all that
>fussy about cycles. Fact filed for later use!

They are. The transformer needs to have enough iron that the core
doesn't saturate during normal operation. The peak magnetic flux
increases when voltage increases and when frequency *decreases*, so
operating a transformer at a higher voltage or lower frequency than it's
designed for can overheat it. On the other hand, higher frequency or
lower voltage are generally OK.

Dave
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:20:35 PM

>>Nick wrote:
>>
>>>Will the included battery charger that comes with the US-spec SD200
>>>work with UK and European voltage?

Yes. All you need is a plug adapter. Charger is rated from 100-240 VAC.

Phil
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:50:24 AM

I have a Canon SD10 and have had older Canons, and have used chargers for
both the NB-3L and NB-2L batteries in Europe with no problem whatsoever (the
SD200 uses the NB-4L battery, but I can't imagine it's any different). Just
get the pin adapter (the $3 connecter available at hardware stores that
changes from narrow U.S. wall socket pins to round European wall socket
pins) and snap it on to your unit before plugging it into the European wall.
!