Cpu up to 100 degrees??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmullally

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hello,
I've been having serious problems with my computer, any time I try to play games on it it will just overheat and shut down. I cant bring it to classes anymore because the fan got so ridiculously loud you can barely hear the teachers. I don't know a thing about computers, so I just looked it up on google and someone said it could be dust, get some condensed air, which I did, and suggested "core temp" to let you know how hot your comp is getting. I have NO idea what any of it means but I was just playing a game and my comp was feeling really hot so I checked and it said "core 1" was at 100 degrees C and "core 2" was at 89. I don't know what ANY of these things are but feel like that is way too high!! Can anyone help me out?

Solution

in his situation or for everyone that has a laptop? cause mine never exceeds 95* c under any load.
i think that a cooling pad is a band aid trying to keep a wound closed that needs stitches. i think that maybe his fan is clogged or the bearing is going bad causing the loud noise which i assume is a loud clicking like noise.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
That is very high temps.
Best thing to do is not use it (laptop i am guessing?) right now. Your fan could have been clogged up by dust, hampering performance or you may need to re-apply some new thermal paste.

Don't suppose you know the CPU model? If its a Pentium 4...

kmullally

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, its a laptop. It runs fine when I'm on the internet or writing papers or anything, the fan is just loud. Only when I watch movies/play games that it shuts down.

I have no idea what the model is, all I can find is
"intel core 2 duo cpu t8100" I don't know if that helps?

2emjspd.png

16by5nb.png

cbrunnem

Distinguished

in his situation or for everyone that has a laptop? cause mine never exceeds 95* c under any load.
i think that a cooling pad is a band aid trying to keep a wound closed that needs stitches. i think that maybe his fan is clogged or the bearing is going bad causing the loud noise which i assume is a loud clicking like noise.

Solution

Do you think that those are GOOD temps for a CPU? Because I don't think so, yeah, is general for all laptops.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
yes, intel has told every manufacture that i have ever talk to that 100 degrees is the max safe temp on their mobile chips. 130* is the critical temp. just what i have been relayed from talks with samsung about a week ago.

So, in an example:

If you have a car that can go until 20.000rmp sacrificing performance, will you go with that car until 20.000rpm just because manufacturer says that is safe?

In your case, more heat means less performance because all components works with high temps, so, less heat = better performance = more lifespan = less problems

cbrunnem

Distinguished

the fan sounds like it is not working properly cause i dont think a manufacture would send out a laptop with that loud of a fan. also the max temp for his cpu is 105* http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T8100-Notebook-Processor.34888.0.html so i believe even more that it is not normal high temps causing it. fix the fan and the problem should go away.

kmullally

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hey, thanks for the help.
I bought a cooling fan earlier today, I've watched some shows/played games, it did work longer but still ended up shutting down on me, I didn't get a chance to check the internal temp, but it felt fairly cool on the outside. I'm definitely not tech savvy enough to open it up, so I guess I'll leave it as is for now and once the semester is over (in a few weeks) I can bring it to a shop to have them check out the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.