Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are these parts all compatible?

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2011 1:15:34 PM

Additionally, does my motherboard/power supply support 3 3/4 pin fans?

More about : parts compatible

a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 4:53:11 PM

Yes, it's all compatible. However, there are some parts I'd recommend avoiding.

First, drop the extra fans. They're a pointless waste of money. If you're worried about cooling, don't be with the HAF 912. If you want some bling, step up to the HAF 922 for a few bucks more than the 912 plus fans.

Second, get the 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's the same price (with a promo code at Newegg), and is just as fast.

Third, the Athlon X4s aren't really worth it. Either drop down to the X3s or spend more on the X4 955.

Fourth, that board is a bad choice. It's pretty old. It doesn't have USB 3/SATA III support, meaning it will soon be obsolete. Instead, I'd look at the ASRock 770 Extreme 3 (currently sold out). It's a touch more expensive, but it's worth it.

Fifth, don't get that expensive GTX 460. You can get them as low as $155 after rebate. They're all going to be basically the same.

Sixth, I'd also do something about that PSU. It's a decent one, but you can find better ones (like this Antec Earthwatts 650W) for less. PSU prices are screwy, so make sure to check the higher wattage ones for better buys. Stick to Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and XFX for quality. Antec's Earthwatts line is a lot higher quality than their Basiq (I think that's how they spell it) line. The Earthwatts' models have an "EA" in them, while the Basiqs' have a "BP".

Finally, I'd get these Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz CL 9 sticks of RAM. Not only are they cheaper (by a few bucks), but they're also faster.
m
l
January 18, 2011 9:35:58 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Yes, it's all compatible. However, there are some parts I'd recommend avoiding.

First, drop the extra fans. They're a pointless waste of money. If you're worried about cooling, don't be with the HAF 912. If you want some bling, step up to the HAF 922 for a few bucks more than the 912 plus fans.

Second, get the 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's the same price (with a promo code at Newegg), and is just as fast.

Third, the Athlon X4s aren't really worth it. Either drop down to the X3s or spend more on the X4 955.

Fourth, that board is a bad choice. It's pretty old. It doesn't have USB 3/SATA III support, meaning it will soon be obsolete. Instead, I'd look at the ASRock 770 Extreme 3 (currently sold out). It's a touch more expensive, but it's worth it.

Fifth, don't get that expensive GTX 460. You can get them as low as $155 after rebate. They're all going to be basically the same.

Sixth, I'd also do something about that PSU. It's a decent one, but you can find better ones (like this Antec Earthwatts 650W) for less. PSU prices are screwy, so make sure to check the higher wattage ones for better buys. Stick to Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and XFX for quality. Antec's Earthwatts line is a lot higher quality than their Basiq (I think that's how they spell it) line. The Earthwatts' models have an "EA" in them, while the Basiqs' have a "BP".

Finally, I'd get these Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz CL 9 sticks of RAM. Not only are they cheaper (by a few bucks), but they're also faster.

I've looked at the ASRock, but I didn't know how many headers it had either. Is there much of a difference between the 770 and the 870? Also, is the GTX 460 or an HD 6850 better? I'm not planning to do Crossfire/SLi anytime soon

EDIT: The GTX 460 I was picking out came around the same price with the rebate. Also, the PSU you chose isn't modular :( . Do you know any better PSUs that are modular and around the same price? Can the X3 unlcok to quad-core? So far, I've gotten rid of the fans, ditched the motherboard and case, replaced them with an open box 770 and a HAF 922.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 10:15:16 PM

The 770 has a single PCIe 2.0 slot, while the 870 has two. That's basically it.

The HD 6850 is more powerful. Also, if you're stuck on going with AMD, you'd actually be able to Crossfire it.

You'll probably have to pay around $20-30 more for a modular unit. I should also point out that modular units aren't really necessary now days. Most good cases have bottom mounted PSUs, which means the excess cables are already out of the way because they're held at the bottom of the case. The only real benefit of a modular PSU is that they have slightly higher efficiencies. That's about it.

The X3 can unlock to a quad core. However, you won't really need to, assuming you're building this to game. Most games don't really benefit from the added core. Instead, you could overclock the X3, which would be a lot more beneficial to performance.
January 18, 2011 11:38:34 PM

Best answer selected by ieatdog.
m
l
!