Thoughts on my upgrade

My Current Build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz)
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Cd/DVD Drive: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W

Basically looking to upgrade the mobo, cpu, gpu and memory. First thought is I5 2400 or 2500 with a p67 mobo. I'm a big gamer looking to upgrade with BF3 coming later this year. I don't overclock, never felt comfortable so looking to be as cost effective as possible where should i go from here?
5 answers Last reply
More about thoughts upgrade
  1. P.S When it comes to selling used computer parts is ebay the best bet?
  2. Depending on what resolution you game at, upgrading the video card will throw out more FPS.. And I recommend you to learn to overclock coz that E8400 can reach 4.0 GHz quite easily.. The point is, you can still get more out of your current rig..
  3. Wut he sed... Plus I'd get a pair of 6850s or 5850s in Crossfire or maybe just a 6950.

Ebay the 4870 and get a nice heat sink with the proceeds.
  4. An update, i actually just oc'd the e8400 up to 3.6 which was extremely simple. I read that the increase in performance above that is there but minimal. So i am quite content, under load its at about 50 degrees.

So looks like ill just be replacing the gpu. Can't really crossfire, the mobo supports it but its an extremely tight fit, messing with airflows and such prolly just go with 6950...

Do you like my 3.6 e8400 will bottleneck a 6950?
  5. Nice work overclocking that processor.. Those beauties can go 4.0 GHz and more also.. 3.6 GHz is a very respectful number though.. And it'll not pose any bottlenecks so no need to worry on that.. As for the video card, I too like getting a single faster video card compared to a couple of mid range cards (skeptical on drivers and game compatibility issues).. The HD 6950 is a very good card (try and get one with 2 GB video ram).. It can even be flashed to a 6970..!! Wht's not to like..!!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs