Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB power loss

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2011 10:15:47 PM

Hi I recently upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and ram. My USB power no longer works unless the PC is powered on. This is inconvenient for when I want to charge devices or hook a KVM up to my Xbox. Does anyone know how to restore the power?

There is a USB section under the power menu in the BIOS, but there doesn't seem to be an option to enable this feature.

Any ideas?

More about : usb power loss

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 120 V Motherboard
December 18, 2011 10:35:16 PM

Look for a feature in the bios called EUP. On many boards this powers down USB ports(and just about everything to get the power consumption under 0.5 watts) when the system is off.

What board is it?

EUP description from ASRock
http://www.asrock.com/feature/EuP/index.asp

Some older boards used to have an option to take usb power from the 5v standby(so the power was always on) on the power supply, but they all do this now for the most part. still may be worth a look. Used to be a jumper near the usb ports on the board it self.
December 19, 2011 12:58:30 AM

It's an Asus M4N68T-V2. I haven't been too impressed with the board so far because from what I've read, it doens't support TRIM and I thought all modern boards did. Anyway, I will look for the EUP in the bios.

Thanks,
David
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 1:04:38 AM

A moment ago I looked at the link you supplied. I knew EUP looked familiar. I remember seeing it on my mobo box. I haven't looked in the bios for the feature. From now on I'll just use my Xbox to charge USB devices; it works just as well.

Thanks,
David
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:04:54 AM

Best answer selected by bigdayve.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 120 V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 3:26:50 AM

My friend was using the service port(it is USB after all) on a TV for charging :) 
m
l
!