Sign in with
Your question

Which card allows switching btwn headphone/speakers

Last response: in Components
April 13, 2011 3:39:06 AM

Hello,

A long time ago I had a wonderful sound card, it was the hercules fortissimo. The card allowed me to plug in my headphones and stereo speakers in at the same time, then through its software, allowed me to choose which one I wanted to be active.

About a year ago, I needed the same functionality, but couldn't find it. I ended up going with a PCI CL xi-fi with the bay drive. Now I just have the output set to speakers, which will automatically turn off the speaker output when I plug in headphones.

Now I need a pci-E card, and I have no idea what to do. I know that CL has a bay option, but it's way too expensive. I really don't want to spend more than 50. Are there any options whatsoever?
April 14, 2011 7:18:49 PM

If you're trying to do what I think you are, I'm not sure you even need a sound card. Are you using W7? If so, right click your volume control in the task bar and select "Playback devices", then select whichever device you wish to output sound through as your "Default Device".

I use onboard audio, and I do this very often to switch between 2.1 speakers and my headphones, which are always plugged in.
!