Upgrade - Need some advice

Well another 4 years goes by and it's time to upgrade. A lot has changed since then and sure enough a lot will change in the future too.

I'm currently running a Q6700 with 2 8800GT in SLI 4 gigs of RAM and a water cooling kit (Thermaltake bigwater) under a 750 Watt PSU (Ultra X-Pro 750w)

I'm currently looking at upgrading to:

x2 GTX 470
8 gigs DDR3 RAM (1600)
i7 2600k (sandybridge) which I intend to overclock
and a P67 Chipset motherboard

My question to you folks is can I upgrade and still keep my 750 Watt PSU?
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade advice
  1. oceanotter said:
    Well another 4 years goes by and it's time to upgrade. A lot has changed since then and sure enough a lot will change in the future too.

    I'm currently running a Q6700 with 2 8800GT in SLI 4 gigs of RAM and a water cooling kit (Thermaltake bigwater) under a 750 Watt PSU (Ultra X-Pro 750w)

    I'm currently looking at upgrading to:

    x2 GTX 470
    8 gigs DDR3 RAM (1600)
    i7 2600k (sandybridge) which I intend to overclock
    and a P67 Chipset motherboard

    My question to you folks is can I upgrade and still keep my 750 Watt PSU?


    STAY away from the gtx 470 at all costs. It's a very crappy card and I'm pretty sure most people will agree with me. I'd rather go with the 460GTX SLI'd or the new 500 series depending on your budget. I can't find any info on your psu. is it sli certified? nevertheless, I'd recommend buying the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX. A great PSU for SLI.ndas a final suggestion I'd recommend waiting on your upgrade wor a few more weeks to get more reviews on motherboards for the 1155 platform and go with an ASUS. Good Luck!
  2. jey1234 said:
    STAY away from the gtx 470 at all costs. It's a very crappy card and I'm pretty sure most people will agree with me. I'd rather go with the 460GTX SLI'd or the new 500 series depending on your budget. I can't find any info on your psu. is it sli certified? nevertheless, I'd recommend buying the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX. A great PSU for SLI.ndas a final suggestion I'd recommend waiting on your upgrade wor a few more weeks to get more reviews on motherboards for the 1155 platform and go with an ASUS. Good Luck!



    Why is it a bad card?
  3. Very power hungry and runs very hot for is slight performance gain over the 460 gtx.
  4. jey1234 said:
    Very power hungry and runs very hot for is slight performance gain over the 460 gtx.



    My PSU is SLI certified.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems