Uploading photos from European Internet Cafes?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 28, 2005 12:37:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The last time I went to Europe the internet cafe pcs were locked down
with no way to copy photos from a camera or media card.
Nowadays, do many internet cafes in Europe have media card readers
connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
photos, movie clips etc.?
What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:01:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 27 Jan 2005 21:37:05 -0800, "EuroTravel" <maxview80@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The last time I went to Europe the internet cafe pcs were locked down
>with no way to copy photos from a camera or media card.
>Nowadays, do many internet cafes in Europe have media card readers
>connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
>photos, movie clips etc.?
>What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?

Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need to install
drivers to get it to work.

There seem to be more and more machines coming out with multicard
readers, which are just wonderful in my opinion. Take your memory card
out, insert it into the computer, and upload. Piece of cake! I have
found most net cafes have one of those available, but it might be on
the administrators machine of course.

I believe SD and Compact flash are the most common. Personally, I use
SD.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm not taking a laptop, but I plan to take a WIFI capable PDA.
Is it possible to put the SD card with the camera files into the PDA
and then upload the data to a web or ftp server?
I've never seen a FTP client for pocketpcs or a web site editable via a
pocketpc either and WIFI access is probably much more difficult to find
than internet cafes.
January 28, 2005 3:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I am NOT carrying a laptop. Only a PocketPC PDA with WIFI.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:19:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 1/27/05 11:37 PM, in article
1106890625.943412.49200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "EuroTravel"
<maxview80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The last time I went to Europe the internet cafe pcs were locked down
> with no way to copy photos from a camera or media card.
> Nowadays, do many internet cafes in Europe have media card readers
> connected to the PCs so you can e-mail, FTP, or otherwise upload your
> photos, movie clips etc.?
> What about USB access to the internet cafe PCs?

I was just in England last summer and EVERY hotel I was in had WIFI access
plus lots of cafes were around with WIFI so you should be ok.
I also took along a wallet reader. If you are taking your laptop, I don¹t
see why you are concerned with uploading to the net? Why not just store
them on the harddrive until you get home.
I do get about wanting to email pix home, though. I did a little of that
while I was there...sort of "hey, look where we are today!" I can see that
you might need that if visuals were important to business you might have.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 1/28/05 12:05 PM, in article
1106935511.320957.90310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "EuroTravel"
<maxview80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not taking a laptop, but I plan to take a WIFI capable PDA.
> Is it possible to put the SD card with the camera files into the PDA
> and then upload the data to a web or ftp server?
> I've never seen a FTP client for pocketpcs or a web site editable via a
> pocketpc either and WIFI access is probably much more difficult to find
> than internet cafes.

You really need one of those digital wallets.
January 28, 2005 5:32:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

We will only be e-mailing 5 to 10MB worth of photos at a time, so we
will still need another way to offload the photos for storage since it
would take hours to upload the entire SD card full of photos and movie
clips over the internet anyway.
How difficult is it to find places in Europe where you can have the
files offloaded to CD-R discs?
Will they copy any files from your SD cards (.avi movie files etc.) to
CD or only jpeg images?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:24:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Deep Foiled Malls" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote
in message news:mgojv05e7tn1demb9rnpcbipgdqmi71bfm@4ax.com...
SNIP
> Forget USB access, as the chances are you would need
> to install drivers to get it to work.

Not if they run e.g. Windows XP. External drives via USB are hot
swappable (no admin.rights required), so you only need to have a
decent card reader (just in case) and a USB cable that fits the card
reader.

http://www.cybercafe.com/continent.asp?continent=Europe
will give a list of locations (don't know how up-to-date it is), and
allows to check the setup before you travel.

Bart
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:49:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I use an Archos with CF reader. At the end of everyday I copy all my
pics to it. If I capture in jpg I can even view them on there as well.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:09:41 PM

On 28 Jan 2005 14:32:22 -0800, "Nick" <maxview80@hotmail.com> wrote:

>We will only be e-mailing 5 to 10MB worth of photos at a time, so we
>will still need another way to offload the photos for storage since it
>would take hours to upload the entire SD card full of photos and movie
>clips over the internet anyway.
>How difficult is it to find places in Europe where you can have the
>files offloaded to CD-R discs?
>Will they copy any files from your SD cards (.avi movie files etc.) to
>CD or only jpeg images?

You should be able to do this at a net cafe, if you ask nicely. I have
no idea how much it will cost though.

Are you aware that you can buy a 256mb SD card for around $80, or
cheaper if it's duty free? This way you can store a lot of photos and
video.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
January 29, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You should seriously consider getting some kind of portable hard drive
to store your photos on. I use my iPod, and now come back from each
two week vacation with about 10GB of material, photos and video clips.
I used the Belkin Media Reader with it. Before my iPod I used a
MindStor from Minds@Work (but they are not out of business, but the
principle of dedicated photo-drives may still be around).

These are not cheap options, but it is incredibly liberating to offload
all your photos from the day in the hotel/B&B/etc and go crazy again
the next day. In this mode you can take multiple shots with different
settings, take video clips at will, and so on. It is really great.

Back when I took my 3 months all-Europe trip, in the Fall 2002, I
bought the photo-drive because places like this newsgroup suggested
there were no photo-CD burning things to depend on - which turned out
to be exactly the situation that I found. Maybe things have changed
but I doubt it - places like EasyInternet are set up without CD options
last I saw.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:37:57 GMT, Dan Stephenson
<stephedanospam@mac.com> wrote:

>You should seriously consider getting some kind of portable hard drive
>to store your photos on. I use my iPod, and now come back from each
>two week vacation with about 10GB of material, photos and video clips.
>I used the Belkin Media Reader with it. Before my iPod I used a
>MindStor from Minds@Work (but they are not out of business, but the
>principle of dedicated photo-drives may still be around).
>
>These are not cheap options, but it is incredibly liberating to offload
>all your photos from the day in the hotel/B&B/etc and go crazy again
>the next day. In this mode you can take multiple shots with different
>settings, take video clips at will, and so on. It is really great.
>
>Back when I took my 3 months all-Europe trip, in the Fall 2002, I
>bought the photo-drive because places like this newsgroup suggested
>there were no photo-CD burning things to depend on - which turned out
>to be exactly the situation that I found. Maybe things have changed
>but I doubt it - places like EasyInternet are set up without CD options
>last I saw.

I agree. I have a thing called Wolverine, a battery-powered 30-G drive
with slots for the various types of camera memory in the sides.

You stick your camera card into the slot, turn on the power, and press
a button labeled "copy." It makes a new folder nd copies the files
into it. Each time you do this it makes a new folder, so nothing gets
overwritten. It connects to the USB port on your computer to unload.

I am sure there are many devices. I am not touting the Wolverine per
se, but it works fine for me.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:27:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Don't depend on internet cafe. Get a portable device to download your
images. Depending on the features you want and the price you are willing to
pay there are a number of such devices on the market. From the simple but
dependable Image Tank, to CD or DVD writers, to storage devices with viewing
screens.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:37:58 AM

On 2005-01-29 22:27:06 +0100, "Arthur Small" <asmall1@nycap.rr.com> said:

> Don't depend on internet cafe. Get a portable device to download your
> images. Depending on the features you want and the price you are
> willing to pay there are a number of such devices on the market. From
> the simple but dependable Image Tank, to CD or DVD writers, to storage
> devices with viewing screens.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy an Epson P2000

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

G;
--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1106945616.600769.155780@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"EuroTravel" <maxview80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am NOT carrying a laptop. Only a PocketPC PDA with WIFI.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of getting.

But PDAs seem to be on the way out.

Looks like smart phones like the Treo or the PPC/phone combos are being
marketed more.

Wifi would be cheaper than using a mobile network to transfer pics or
email them unless the cybercafes are charging ridiculous prices for Wifi
access.
January 30, 2005 8:04:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <KcTKd.15093$MX2.13311@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"Arthur Small" <asmall1@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Don't depend on internet cafe. Get a portable device to download your
> images. Depending on the features you want and the price you are willing to
> pay there are a number of such devices on the market. From the simple but
> dependable Image Tank, to CD or DVD writers, to storage devices with viewing
> screens.

Don't they have kiosks over there for burning CDs or printing photos?

Obviously, you don't expect Walmarts with kiosks. But there's got to be
photo services there?
January 30, 2005 8:06:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <m0omv0pbkeqolblkdntdro9jbe7f0ubc17@4ax.com>,
Deep Foiled Malls <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:

> Are you aware that you can buy a 256mb SD card for around $80, or
> cheaper if it's duty free? This way you can store a lot of photos and
> video.

For $80, you can get 1 GB SD cards now. Of course, you lose one of
those, not only is it a costly thing, you lose a lot more photos.
January 30, 2005 8:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <41fa5977$0$28537$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote:

> Not if they run e.g. Windows XP. External drives via USB are hot
> swappable (no admin.rights required), so you only need to have a
> decent card reader (just in case) and a USB cable that fits the card
> reader.

I don't know, we stuck a card reader into an HP PC and it needed drivers
so you had to install the software from the CD it came with.

It mounted instantly on the PowerBook, however.

> http://www.cybercafe.com/continent.asp?continent=Europe
> will give a list of locations (don't know how up-to-date it is), and
> allows to check the setup before you travel.

You would think cybercafes are getting hip to all the tourists with
digital cameras and offer CD archival as well as card readers.

After all, digital photography is changing the world. ;)
January 30, 2005 8:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1106935511.320957.90310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"EuroTravel" <maxview80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not taking a laptop, but I plan to take a WIFI capable PDA.
> Is it possible to put the SD card with the camera files into the PDA
> and then upload the data to a web or ftp server?
> I've never seen a FTP client for pocketpcs or a web site editable via a
> pocketpc either and WIFI access is probably much more difficult to find
> than internet cafes.

Some PDAs have SD slots.

But they don't have USB ports do they, which would let you plug in a
multi-format card reader?

As for uploading pics, yeah it depends on what kind of browser you can
run on the PDA. Don't really know what's available for PDAs.

Doesn't Opera make browsers for PDAs?
!