Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Some AMD 955 B.E. qustions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2011 4:36:32 AM

My Phenom II x4 955 B.E. keeps wanting to go over 45c when idle. I have smart fan set to a 45c target to keep it quiet, but it sometimes gets up to 47c. Is this getting to hot for idle temps? I have an after market cooler ( cooler master vortex plus with arctic silver). also should I be using amd cool and quiet?

More about : amd 955 qustions

a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 4:59:44 AM

Those are really high idle temps for a CPU like that with a stock cooler and stock thermal compound. Set your fan to normal instead of a 45C target. How long ago did you apply the thermal paste? As for the AMD Cool N' Quiet, it saves power by lowering the multiplier and then when your computer needs more power it will turn the multiplier back up. It is nice if you want to save on the power bill.
m
l
April 13, 2011 6:25:32 PM

I applied the thermal paste about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I have an msi 870-g54 motherboard and normally gets those idle temps in the bios, but lately its been doing it in windows and my fan keeps boosting rpms and then it gets the temp back down to around 43c. right now its at 40c, but will go up. also im using msi control center to view those temps in windows. maybe I applied to much arctic silver, but this cooler is a little strange. It is not totally flat on bottom so I covered the entire heatsink. then I tinted the cpu and dropped a bb in the middle.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 6:40:37 PM

Yeah, it sounds like you applied too much thermal compound. I would do it over again. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRWbQUqW1Y I really like that guys videos. They help a lot. Did you set your fan to idle the CPU @ 45C, or does it do that on its own? You made it sound like you set a setting to keep the CPU @ 45C. Maybe I misunderstood though.
April 16, 2011 6:08:24 PM

I set the Cpu fan target temp (in smart fan mode) to 45c. So if the fan is turning at 50% and the cpu gets up to or above 45c it will kick up the fan past 50% until it can maintain a temp of 45c or less. So essentially its like a thermostat. I was trying to keep fan noise down because my aftermarket is only 92mm. I guess I should also try to turn off smart fan and let it run full speed and see what the temps do. Thanks for responding!
m
l
April 16, 2011 6:08:40 PM

Best answer selected by cadillacchad.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 7:41:26 PM

cadillacchad said:
I set the Cpu fan target temp (in smart fan mode) to 45c. So if the fan is turning at 50% and the cpu gets up to or above 45c it will kick up the fan past 50% until it can maintain a temp of 45c or less. So essentially its like a thermostat. I was trying to keep fan noise down because my aftermarket is only 92mm. I guess I should also try to turn off smart fan and let it run full speed and see what the temps do. Thanks for responding!

No problem! I hope it fixes it! Reply back with results please. ;)  I would like to hear what happens.
m
l
!