Advice me to upgrade pc

rodgers87

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
hello guys!!!
first of all i must say sorry for my english, cause im not. since few months im trying to update my computer (pentium 4 @3,2 with 2gb DDR, integrated graphic, and less more), 2 months ago i purchased an AMD hd 6870 graphics card and a cooler master 550gx power supply. (i purchased the power supply because i wasnt like to broke the hd6870 by my old/bad power supply)

Now is time to upgrade CPU and motherboard. In principle im looking for a motherboard with: sata3, usb3.0, DDR3. to have it for some years. I repeat i have hd6870 then why not to get 2 PCI slots for the future?? ;)

I know AMD have lower prices than intel processors. And looking prices i see the phenomII x4 955 attractive (and you must ask why not a simple phenomII x4? i dont discart to OC it, and 955 have unloker OC settings)

According the amd cpu and my requeriments, i look up for Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H or Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

Another interesting point is the cpu cooler but i dont look for any in special.the purpose for this build is upgrade the pc for gamming, downloads, multimedia and have it for at least 4 years.

There are my questions:
-I must look for another CPU? maybe intel solutions like i5?
-What do you think about the motherboards? wich will be better?
-Any cpu cooler?
-Do you need the product links? the store links for the prices? datasheets?

jey1234

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

It`s hard to help without knowing the budget you are looking at.

I agree. It sounds like you haven't even decided on a budget yet. I mean, you are looking at the phenom IIx4 but you are also looking at the i5. Separate price categories.

Four years is a very long time to have a computer that will be unaltered throughout those years.

Can you provide more specifics and details on the uses of your computer (what it is for)?

rodgers87

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Well my budget is on 100-150 € per device cpu and motherb. and i think that phenomII can be great if i will oc it. In first post i wrote: "Another interesting point is the cpu cooler but i dont look for any in special.the purpose for this build is upgrade the pc for gamming, downloads, multimedia and have it for at least 4 years". So there are the purposes

My actual cpu an motherb. is 6-7 years old (is a PentiumIV) and is time to upgrade :)

Here the links:
Motherboards AM3
asus m4a89gtd
gygabyte 890gpa

CPU's AMD
CPU phenomII

Suggestions please!!!

Well, then I recommend the phenom II 955. An 880 board from Asus or Gigabyte that fits your needs with regards to ports and expansion slots. If you don't have DDR3 memory now, I recommend 4GB but be prepared to upgrade to 8GB in the next 3 years. Memory has the lowest performance gain/ cost ratio so get the cheapest 1333MHz.

rodgers87

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

And maybe can you help me to choice any mobo in particular? In your point of view ofc.

rodgers87

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

is just what i need ^^ now time to buy!!!
thanks to all, and i will post photos with the upgrades.