IBM Portreplicator which model for T42

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:31:21 PM

Hi

I found some cheap portreplicators on ebay. However, I could not
find out whether they will work with a T42p, the auction site
mentions compatibility up to T30. The IBM pages are also not very
clear. Since the T42p lacks eg the rs232 port, I thought
I'd better ask before buying.

Thanks, t.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 6:31:22 PM

Tobias Roth wrote:

> I found some cheap portreplicators on ebay. However, I could not
> find out whether they will work with a T42p, the auction site
> mentions compatibility up to T30. The IBM pages are also not very
> clear. Since the T42p lacks eg the rs232 port, I thought
> I'd better ask before buying.

No, they won't work with a T40. You need to search for "Port Replicator II"
or part number 74P6733.

While the older Port Replicators won't work with the new T4X series
machines, the Port Replicator II _does_ work with the older T, A and X
machines as it has an adjustable bay to accomodate the older models.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 7:22:27 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:31:21 +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:

> I found some cheap portreplicators on ebay. However, I could not
> find out whether they will work with a T42p, the auction site
> mentions compatibility up to T30. The IBM pages are also not very
> clear. Since the T42p lacks eg the rs232 port, I thought
> I'd better ask before buying.

and good i did ask. digging around some more on the ibm website and
searching for different part numbers brought me to a site that lists
compatibility for various port replicators:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-4...

this shows that "Thinkpad Port Replicator", part numbers 02K8669 or
08N1536, do work for models up to T30.
everything above needs "ThinkPad Port Replicator II", part numbers
74P6735 or 13R0292.
The first part number is for the original item, the second one
for the replacement (which is identical to the original one).
!