Sign in with
Your question

Enough case fans?

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 6:43:26 AM

I will be running two hd4850s and want to make sure my case will keep them cool enough. I heard that they can reach 120C and then after that it is bad for the card. I would like to keep temps under 90C, but 100C would be the max. I will be using this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Which has a 120mm fan is front, and a 80mm fan in back. I know it's not the best of cases, but it's for a budget build. I will also be using a corsair a70 and it's thermal compound that comes with it. That should take care of some of the heat in the case. Please tell me if that case will keep my GPUs cool enough to not be in danger.

Thanks! ;) 

More about : case fans

a c 274 ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 10:47:49 AM

I doubt an A70 will fit in that case it's 6.299" tall the case you linked is only 7.25" wide.
A cpu cooler will not alleviate any case heat and will also work much better with proper case airflow.
I don't consider a case with a rear 80mm exhaust good airflow.
Ideally you want a case with a 120mm rear exhaust and at least one 120mm front intake.Plus top exhaust mounts.
I agree 100% with flightsimluke buy a better case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 11:06:48 AM

It is really hard to beat any of the CoolerMaster budget cases.
m
l
April 13, 2011 2:22:08 PM

Or the Antec 300.

I would not be sticking 2 cards in any case that only has 2 fans, one of them being an 80mm, unless they produced no heat.
m
l
April 13, 2011 3:36:01 PM

For a budget build, I would care to spend a little bit more and get the Cooler Master Elite 430. Pretty cool and worth the money.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:27:30 PM

Okay, so any case that would cost less than $50 with shipping?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:33:03 PM

How about the CM 912? No top fan, but a 120mm front, and then a another 120mm back.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:36:44 PM

HostileDonut said:
Okay, so any case that would cost less than $50 with shipping?

I agree with A4rocks on the case selection and davcon on what to look for.

the CM 430 is on sale for $50 shipped plus a $10 MIR , so $40 when you get the rebate. I've checked it out multiple times and frankly, I like it better then the CM 912.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=3412...

I also built a PC using this case, the case is decent enough for the price but the fans suck (all three are the same case)

votex version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
rosewill version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
powespec/microcenter version
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:45:10 PM

Yes, you have said this before. Remember I said I need to sell my current PC first. I have got a few offers, but when I reply, I never get one back. I am trying lower lower the price as low as possible for sometime to buy it. So, how can the CM430 be better than the 912 if it only has one front fan? I would think I would need more airflow. I know this is waaaayyyyy off topic, but which HDD should I get? I was looking into the WD blacks, but then there prices were a little high. So then I thought of the Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500Gb Sata 6Gb/s. Is that a good reliable drive? I have read that it's supposed to be pretty good.
m
l
April 13, 2011 4:47:26 PM

ct1615 said:
the CM 430 is on sale for $50 shipped plus a $10 MIR , so $40 when you get the rebate. I've checked it out multiple times and frankly, I like it better then the CM 912.

True but it is more like personal tastes buddy. I have classified both the cases a bit differently, CM Elite 430 for someone wanting functionality and decent looks will do. But for the CM HAF 912, its more like flashy stuff and cool looks and for someone who likes to showoff a bit. So it all boils down to these two but if I were you HostileDonut, I wouldn't look further than these two. Tried, tested and proven, they are the best a budget gamer would be looking for.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:50:09 PM

Hmmm. Okay. I think I might stick with the CM 912, just because I REALLY hate the blue LEDs on the 430. Thanks you guys.
m
l
April 13, 2011 4:52:23 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yes, you have said this before. Remember I said I need to sell my current PC first. I have got a few offers, but when I reply, I never get one back. I am trying lower lower the price as low as possible for sometime to buy it. So, how can the CM430 be better than the 912 if it only has one front fan? I would think I would need more airflow. I know this is waaaayyyyy off topic, but which HDD should I get? I was looking into the WD blacks, but then there prices were a little high. So then I thought of the Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500Gb Sata 6Gb/s. Is that a good reliable drive? I have read that it's supposed to be pretty good.

CM 430 has much better case dynamics. You don't need too many intake fans, one large fan at the front and another at the side are absolutely good enough. Remember that at the end of the day, you will need to balance the airflow so having lots of intake but one exhaust won't cut it.

Regarding hard drives, unless you have the bucks to spend on a WD Velociraptor or top of the line SSDs, I would go for the Seagate Barracuda any day. Gives a pretty good performance.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:54:35 PM

Is it reliable? Also, is 16mb cache an issue for everyday work and games? Also, it just says it is a 7200, not a 7200.12. I know that the 7200.12 were supposed to have all the issues worked out.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:55:03 PM

HostileDonut said:

i find the internal build sturdier then the CM 912 as well as the front plastic facade to be thicker. Both cases have the notorious thin CM side panels. (frankly i like the antec 300 illusion better then both, but that's another topic & price point). airflow between both cases will be similar, both offer the same two fans.

the seagate is a fine HDD, i personally like the samsung series
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:56:42 PM

I wanted the Antec 300 Illusion, but it was like, $70 and I don't have that kind of money.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 4:57:57 PM

a4rocks said:
True but it is more like personal tastes buddy.

cases at equal price points are almost always about personal taste
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 5:01:50 PM

Okay. I think I like the CM 912 more then. I will get that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 5:02:30 PM

Actually, scratch that... I will get if I can sell this blasted machine!!!!!
m
l
April 13, 2011 5:02:49 PM

ct1615 said:
i find the internal build sturdier then the CM 912 as well as the front plastic facade to be thicker. Both cases have the notorious thin CM side panels. (frankly i like the antec 300 illusion better then both, but that's another topic & price point). airflow between both cases will be similar, both offer the same two fans.

the seagate is a fine HDD, i personally like the samsung series

+1 regarding the first point. Totally agree. CM could have done a much better job but at the price, I would be willing to overlook those minor niggles.

And whoa!!!! I haven't heard that in a long time. There was however a time when I liked Hitachi hard drives for their reliability and performance but not anymore these days. And the same goes for Samsung. These companies have diversified their businesses to a lot of categories and hence the performance drop. I absolutely recommend the Seagate to anyone these days. Their service is quite good too.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2011 10:09:02 PM

Never mind, it doesn't support ATX motherboards.... :( 
m
l
April 14, 2011 1:40:03 AM

You seem to be having a tough time going through the choices. Its quite logical. However, I do suggest you go and check the cases above and some more in the market. You don't wanna end up with public opinion rather than personal tastes which is high on the list of priorities any day.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2011 3:38:31 AM

I did look at them. They weren't really my 'style'. I think I will stay with the CM HAF 912. Later I will add 2 red LED fans, and two green LED fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2011 6:52:54 AM

I think I have come to something! I will get a CM 912 and a WD black caviar 500gb 6gb/s drive, and if my GPUs reach over 100C, (120C maz for hd4850s, please correct me if I am wrong) I will return both the case and the hdd and get a Azza Helios 910 and a Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200RPM 6gb/s.
m
l
!