Sign in with
Your question

GPU dilemma , gtx 460/hd 6850/ OC-ed versions? bang for buck

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2011 6:50:51 PM

Hey all,

I'm running a i5 2500k , 4gb g.skill ram system with a 620W seasonic psu and i'm looking for the best graphic card for its price. In comparison, the hd 6850 is cheaper than the 460, and apparently out performs it. However, I have seen many people saying that the OC-ed 460 blows the 6850 out of the water. I'm not very acquainted to over clocking and am afraid of damaging the card, so I intend to get a factory OC-ed Graphic card instead.

I was looking at the EVGA gtx 460 SC 1gb for its considerably stronger performance on newer games , but apparently its noisy as heck, and I don't want noisy :p 

So what card would you recommend for the price of a stock 460/ hd 6850? The better price to performance ratio, the more ideal :) 

As a guideline I would like to play games like metro 2033 on very high with a reasonable framerate on a 1680x1050 22inch hd monitor
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2011 7:35:55 PM

jrunes said:
Hey all,

I'm running a i5 2500k , 4gb g.skill ram system with a 620W seasonic psu and i'm looking for the best graphic card for its price. In comparison, the hd 6850 is cheaper than the 460, and apparently out performs it. However, I have seen many people saying that the OC-ed 460 blows the 6850 out of the water. I'm not very acquainted to over clocking and am afraid of damaging the card, so I intend to get a factory OC-ed Graphic card instead.

I was looking at the EVGA gtx 460 SC 1gb for its considerably stronger performance on newer games , but apparently its noisy as heck, and I don't want noisy :p 

So what card would you recommend for the price of a stock 460/ hd 6850? The better price to performance ratio, the more ideal :) 

As a guideline I would like to play games like metro 2033 on very high with a reasonable framerate.

The 460 has slightly lower overall ratings on the passmark website, but it looks like it is supposed to come with more shaders (might want to verify this I am not entirely sure) so should be able to be overclocked a little more with proper cooling and is slightly cheaper (I saw some fore like $160-180 as opposed to the $180+ for a 6850). If you are over clocking you need to tkae into account the greater power consumption too.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
!