Problems in gaming at low resolutions?

Coldcoff33

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I am planning on getting this config: (already ordered some of the stuff :( )

Core i5 760

MSI P55-GD65 USB3 LGA 1156

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12

Ohk, so i was planning on gaming at resolutions as low as 1024x786 and sometimes at 1080p and read somewhere that at lower resolutions, the games are solely dependent on the cpu. Is my graphics card a waste then?
I am planning to play games like BFBC2, Crysis, Just cause 2, etc,etc at settings as high as possible.

I've only ordered the mobo and proc, and the psu, yet. Should i change my config in anyway? I want to make full use of my graphics card :(

I'll be overclocking a lil too.

Please help!

Solution

Not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect. Lower resolutions just mean your graphics card has less to display. Usually lower resolutions equate to better performance. Although I would rather game at 1080P over 1024x768 any day of the week even if I have to turn down AA and details. It's all about the visual experience. A CPU doesn't usually become an issue unless it creates to much of a bottleneck and is holding back your GPU. Usually this is based off architecture and then also in some games the number of...

Not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect. Lower resolutions just mean your graphics card has less to display. Usually lower resolutions equate to better performance. Although I would rather game at 1080P over 1024x768 any day of the week even if I have to turn down AA and details. It's all about the visual experience. A CPU doesn't usually become an issue unless it creates to much of a bottleneck and is holding back your GPU. Usually this is based off architecture and then also in some games the number of cores. Some games really use quad cores well, others a dual core is just as good. Your build looks fine and should fair pretty well at 1080P with most games. I can tell you BC2 will run on high detail with maybe some AA and AF turned on. I would start with VSYNC on and HBAO on, then creap up the AA and AF to maintain 60FPS. You will be fine. At 1024x76 just crank everything up to start with.

The only think in your build that I would have commented on in your build is your power supply. a Corsair 750w is total overkill, a solid 500-550W would have been plenty. I have a buddy running a similar system using an Antec Earthwatt 500w and it plenty. But there isn't anything you should be concerned with. The only other thing I would say is 1024x768 is long gone in the gaming world. Get a higher res display, a 1080P is the way to go and you can usually get them pretty cheap.

Solution

Coldcoff33

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I'll correct myself, i read that the games depend MORE on the cpu than the gpu at lower res. Can't find the link where i read it! and the 750w was what someone suggested to me on another thread @.@ i am a total newb and i've already ordered it :( But i was planning on going SLI later and i will overclock too, considering that i think the psu is right? Anyways thanks! =D

I still think that is incorrect. The CPU should have the same load regardless unless it is computing Physics stuff in the game, but that will depend from game to game. Lower resolutions put less of a load on everything, mostly GPU.

If you mentioned you wanted to SLI then I can understand it. A Corsair 750W is still more than enough for (2) 460's. Don't worry about it man, it's all fine and you have room to grow. A good PSU will last you through several builds. I would have recommended a smaller PSU for mainly budget reasons. I'd allocate money to another area. Although going from a 750 to a 550w corsair really doesn't save you a ton.