Southbridge and USB

Kalnethesis

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I have a number of external recording devices, all of which use USB to transfer data. The problem is I am experiencing latency. I have a TASCAM 1641, a Roland FP-2 Keyboard and GI-20 Guitar Synth.

They are chained via midi, with the data pouring out (along with microphone and direct in connections) from the USB. I have a fairly new computer, newer than the technology I am using to record, and more than meet the system requirements for the software being used.

I was told that my Southbridge architecture could be to blame. Just wondering if that is so, and if it is, what type of motherboard would be better suited for recording? Also, if it is my soundcard, what upgrade would reduce latency? I am fairly familiar with the software and have enabled it to work, if only barely, at the lowest transfer settings. However, this makes playing live impossible as the quality suffers greatly.

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition
Codename Kuma
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Package Socket AM2+ (940)

Mainboard Model: M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Northbridge NVIDIA SPP190 (C51XE) rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI rev. A3
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Graphics Card Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS (x2) SLI enabled
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 6144 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Unganged)
Memory Frequency 401.8 MHz (1:2)
CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 1808.2 MHz

Windows 7 64 bit

Could it be:

Only 6 gigs of substandard RAM?

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) sound card?

The sata terabyte hard drive partitioned into four sectors (two os partitions, one paging, one media) ? Is a solid state needed of this is the case?

Or, the southbridge usb? If so would an internal usb 3.0 card, in the pci slot fix it? New motherboard?

I cannot help but think the bottle neck is systemic. Just not sure where it is, or if it is in multiple spots. Could be processor, mainboard, ram or soundcard.

Thanks for any and all help!