Closed Solved

1999 power supply

Hello,

I have a power supply from 1999 that doesn't want to die (now it runs an Intel Atom 330 based pc)
How can i measure the efficiency of it, or how much it drains from the wall?

10x!!!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1999 power supply
  1. Nice thing there but i am in a 3rd world country. Where else would you find a 1999 psu that works? The shipping price would be high...
  2. That's the only way to measure the usage of it, you should do a search in your area for a similar product.
  3. Best answer
    A PSU from 1999 will be based on the ATX v1.3 standard and will thus have an extremely anemic +12V rail, usually making up 40-60% of the PSU's total rating, rather than the 80-90% expected of modern PSUs. Its effective wattage is essentially halved when powering anything newer than a Pentium 3.

Additionally it will be based on an outdated topology, probably half bridge, single transistor forward, push-pull, or dual transistor flyback. Efficiency will range from 65%-75%, depending on which of these is used and how well it's implemented. Running an Atom system, which will draw around 20-50W (depending on the configuration) may result in even lower efficiency, potentially as low as 50%.

Finally, 12 years is more than enough time for capacitor derating (which is usually an overblown non-issue) to have significant effect on the power supply's capacity.

Basically: get a new PSU.
  4. interesting, so i'll try to find a way to see how much it drains... and i should expect 50%

Not so bad for a psu that i can't even hear (as long as the new ones that you say i should buy make a rocket)

i was actually thinking of buying a sandy bridge mini itx that would drain 130-200W but if you say the 12v rail could be 100W i'll check if it'll pass that...
  5. Best answer selected by gogujiji.
  6. To see your power draw (after efficiency losses), you need a power meter. In the states you can get a basic one (like the P3 Kill-a-Watt) for $20-$30, but I don't know about where you are.
  7. i measured the drain in my entire home with only the pc powered on... it's 16 W/hour witch leads me to the conclusion that the psu is very good and very efficient...

perfect for a server that hosts one web page that no one visits... now i'll need to find a storage device that drains very little, as i intend to make a virtual drive from RAM and will only need the storage device to boot, where should i post this in the forum
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel Components Product