Sign in with
Your question

Recommended AGP graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2010 6:05:16 PM

I want to upgrade the graphics card on my old machine so I can watch iPlayer without lags. The mobo is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an AGP slot the manual describes as 'AGP Pro/8x (1.5V only)'. What sort of card would you recommend? Do they make AGP cards new anymore?
a c 223 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 18, 2010 6:14:15 PM

Newegg.com currently lists 32 different AGP video cards. I would recommend the following, if you are determined to keep this older system. However, you really are hanging on to told technology and it would be a good idea to start thinking about building a new, more modern beast. Toms' Hardware is a great place to get help for that. Regardless, here is one of the most capable AGP cards available. Good luck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 19, 2010 5:40:20 AM

Well, any AGP card will do the job just fine for watching videos and surfing the web as long as you don't play the game, so choose the cheapest that you can get...
Related resources
November 20, 2010 8:43:05 PM

Thanks! While we're at it, I want to ask if a new internal BD drive would work with the old 1.5Gbit/s SATA sockets on my mobo.
a c 223 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 20, 2010 11:39:54 PM

kalefield said:
Thanks! While we're at it, I want to ask if a new internal BD drive would work with the old 1.5Gbit/s SATA sockets on my mobo.

Yes. It should work fine.
November 25, 2010 3:44:33 PM

And how easy would it be to make it region free? Or do you have to buy multiregion drives?
a c 223 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 25, 2010 5:08:29 PM

kalefield said:
And how easy would it be to make it region free? Or do you have to buy multiregion drives?

To my knowledge you have to buy one programmed that way. I know of no reliable way to do yourself.
!