Sign in with
Your question

Processes are going absolutely insane

Last response: in Memory
December 19, 2011 12:25:39 PM

Hey guys,

So lately my computer has entirely lost its sanity, and I am using oveer 94% of my RAM at any given moment, with over 83 processes running and often at least FIFTY of them are running at over 100,000kb... This is a recent problem, and it has absolutely locked my computer up, usually just freezing it entirely.

6GB RAM (seriously, this is plenty of RAM I can't believe that over 5.85GB are being used while my computer is IDLING)

Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 2.0Ghz

Asus G72GX Series

64 bit Windows 7

I'll post a screenshot below, any help would be greatly appreciated as I can literally not do work on this computer anymore! You try opening Photoshop or Illustrator when your already idling at 96% memory usage! frustrating to say the least.

a b } Memory
December 19, 2011 2:04:23 PM

Get rid of those stupid Apple Services first and disable those processes.

Namely Bonjour, Mobile Device Service.
You really don't need crap like trendmicro and mozy backup.....
What the hell is wbctlvga & wbvga service?
You have, as I can say from what I see in the processes a lot of programs that are absolutely of no use to the rig installed there.
Get to selective services startup and change those to When required not at startup or automatic.
What program uses ASLDR & ADSMServ
Check to see what the dependencies of your most important programs are and disable automatic startups of most of the ones you rarely use.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:16:08 PM

Yeah I've disabled those, I went into MSConfig and I literally have only five items that are set to boot on startup, Mozy isn't even checked yet seemingly it somehow comes on anyway and same goes for a few other applications...

What strikes me as weird is that my computer will be fine for awhile, it can run 75 processes and idle at 30% memory usage give or take which I am fine with, but after say 15 minutes all of the sudden the memory usage per process just SPIKES and they all go up to over 100,000kb even applications that were previously only using 4,000kb a minute earlier... there is NO reason for instance that a program like PnkBstrA should ever in a million years be taking up over 100,000kb of memory that's just totally nuts... does this sound virus based at all?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 20, 2011 2:48:58 AM

Yes, it does sound like a virus. But still, most programs come on because of services that are related to them. You need to go into the Services Tab and disable or stop auto start for a majority of the services that you don't need or use.
m
l
December 21, 2011 10:56:27 PM

under the Services tab in Task Manager my only option is to stop the service in the moment... no option to disable auto-start on it... sorry for the ignorance here, I just am shooting in the dark a little bit as I am only so computer savvy
m
l
a b } Memory
December 22, 2011 3:25:20 AM

Yah, that is what it will say when you right click on the particular service, but, you're not supposed to be doing that, you need to click on the Services Button at the end of the list in that Tab.
It will then open another window listing all the services that are available on the system with their description, status, startup type.
Now all you need to do is find those services that you don't need and double click on them, a new window will open listing the properties of the service you clicked on. It will show you the path of the file that starts the service, it'll give you the description and the startup type there, which you can change to Automatic (Delayed Start), Automatic, Manual and Disabled.
Before changing a Startup type make sure you have stopped the service, the Start, stop,Resume and Pause Buttons are also available there.
m
l
December 22, 2011 5:50:09 AM

For the services option, you can always go to "Run" then type "services.msc" and that will also pull up the same Service tab they are talking about.

For the extremely high memory usage, I had the same problem running vista 64. I had 8gb ram, and sometimes usage would shoot up to well over 50% with less than 50 processes, while idling. There were three thangs that caused it at any given time.

1. Turn off Search Index. Go to the service tab and stop it, then change it from automatic to disable or manual. You can still use it, when you need it, but it isn't constantly running.

2. Turn off any of Adobe's automatic start ups, expecially Acrobat. Turn off Adobe updates, FlexIndexing (part of Adobe), and anythang else adobe. Change it to manual, or disable.

3. Turn of Automatic Updates, disable it, and just run it manually. In order to update you will have to change it to manual, and then start the process.

Not everybody is affected by these, but when I had the same high memory problem, these are what fixed it. It brought my memory usage down to about 18%.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 22, 2011 5:56:15 AM

nitrohuck said:
Hey guys,

So lately my computer has entirely lost its sanity, and I am using oveer 94% of my RAM at any given moment, with over 83 processes running and often at least FIFTY of them are running at over 100,000kb... This is a recent problem, and it has absolutely locked my computer up, usually just freezing it entirely.

6GB RAM (seriously, this is plenty of RAM I can't believe that over 5.85GB are being used while my computer is IDLING)

Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 2.0Ghz

Asus G72GX Series

64 bit Windows 7

I'll post a screenshot below, any help would be greatly appreciated as I can literally not do work on this computer anymore! You try opening Photoshop or Illustrator when your already idling at 96% memory usage! frustrating to say the least.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/nitrohuck/wtf.png

it is definately a virus
use tuneup utilities's process manager to find out the file which is causing this problem
and use a updated antivirus
m
l
December 22, 2011 5:57:58 AM

I also disabled programs that I hardly ever like Readyboost, superfetch, print spooler (I had to enable it on rare occasion), Homegroup, Cyberlink, Canon Printers 8 processes (literally) etc. Going through the service tab and msconfig helped me stop 20+ processes, and my computer starts windows fast, and memory usage is low.

I suggest you use both options and figure out what you don't need running all the time. Oh ya, if you aint sure about what something is, do a yahoo search.
m
l
December 22, 2011 12:48:02 PM

sounds like it's got a bug. I would boot in diagnostic startup mode (option 2 in msconfig) > under Services click Enable All, then Hide All Microsoft Services, then Disable All (this should disable everything except Microsft) > reboot. If the problem persists you know you have a bug in your windows directory > Do a full virus scan.

If the problem is alleviated go back into msconfig > Services, and begin checking 2 or 3 boxes at a time starting at the top and reboot, then 2 or 3 more and reboot, do this until you hit a snag and you'll have narrowed down your problem.

After you've found the culprit you should uninstall or repair it. Then you can turn your Startup processes back on, leaving out anything non-essential
m
l
December 22, 2011 10:30:04 PM

thanks guys I'll look into this and post results!
m
l
!