The leap from 98 to XP

G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few
V3 games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was
thinking of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after
installing and setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new
directory with the backed up game directories.

Anyone got experience in doing this ?

SK.
5 answers Last reply
More about leap
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Starkiller, 16 Jul. 05, 09:49:

    > Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few
    > V3 games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was
    > thinking of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after
    > installing and setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new
    > directory with the backed up game directories.
    Why so complicated? Just copy your game directories to a usb-memory stick
    and after installing XP copy them back to your harddisk.

    I play all my games from usb stick and it works great.

    Greetings from Nordholz
    Huetti
    --
    16.07.2005 11:49:54
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Starkiller wrote:
    > G'day all,
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few
    > V3 games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was
    > thinking of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after
    > installing and setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new
    > directory with the backed up game directories.
    >
    > Anyone got experience in doing this ?

    No need to install.

    Just get the handful of *.vbx files (I think you can download them from
    rcworld.de) that planets installs in order to run and place them either
    in your winplan directory or in your windows directory.

    Of if you are using dosplan/vpa/pcc it's even easier, you actually don't
    have to do anything.

    Matthias
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Matthias wrote:
    > Starkiller wrote:
    > > G'day all,
    > >
    > > Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few
    > > V3 games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was
    > > thinking of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after
    > > installing and setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new
    > > directory with the backed up game directories.
    > >
    > > Anyone got experience in doing this ?
    >
    > No need to install.
    >
    > Just get the handful of *.vbx files (I think you can download them from
    > rcworld.de) that planets installs in order to run and place them either
    > in your winplan directory or in your windows directory.
    >
    > Of if you are using dosplan/vpa/pcc it's even easier, you actually don't
    > have to do anything.
    >
    > Matthias

    Everytime I change machines or OS, I prefer to do a re-install on the
    new machine of the planets application and the VB runtime files. I
    feel safer with a solid foundation. Copying over my backups to the new
    installation folder has gone smoothly everytime with this approach.

    Calm Dragon Proto
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    I don't know about upgrades but I do know v3 works fine under XP

    "Starkiller" <notlikely@bogpond.com> wrote in message
    > G'day all,
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few V3
    > games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was thinking
    > of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after installing and
    > setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new directory with
    > the backed up game directories.
    >
    > Anyone got experience in doing this ?
    >
    > SK.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    I just upgraded to XP sp2 and had no issues at all with vga planets
    "Starkiller" <notlikely@bogpond.com> wrote in message
    > G'day all,
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to keep running a few V3
    > games after upgrading to XP from 98. Has anyone done it ? I was thinking
    > of backing up the game directories (naturally!), then after installing and
    > setting up XP, installing V3 and then overwriting the new directory with
    > the backed up game directories.
    >
    > Anyone got experience in doing this ?
    >
    > SK.

Games Windows XP Video Games