Sign in with
Your question

Cricket wireless range extender

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 19, 2010 6:53:32 AM

Hello,
I have Cricket USB wi-fi service. It is very slow! Is there a "wireless range extender" for Cricket? Also, is this really what I need or should be looking for?? HELP -- PLEASE!!!
a c 79 F Wireless
September 19, 2010 9:05:24 PM

Is it not a 3G cellphone connection?

m
l
September 29, 2010 9:16:52 AM

Emerald said:
Is it not a 3G cellphone connection?

No, it has nothing to do with cell phones. It is something that extends the wi-fi range for my wireless USB adapter. The brand that I have is "Cricket".

I still need HELP with this issue!! Thanks to all in advance for any help you might be able to give! :bounce: 
m
l
a b F Wireless
September 29, 2010 11:27:49 AM

Is this what we're talking about here?

http://www.mycricket.com/broadband?CMP=AFC-Google09

If it is, it has nothing to do w/ wifi. Wifi is NOT the same as cellular, and Cricket is using cellular (3G specifically), not wifi.

There are devices that can improve cellular reception.

http://www.cellboosterstore.com/

Of course, this only helps in w/ reception in a specific location. What you didn’t make clear is *how* you are using this service. Is this a general problem anywhere you use the Cricket modem, or just an issue at home or the office (i.e., a specific location)?

Even if you improve reception, there’s no guarantee it will improve performance, not unless you’re simply having too many dropped connections and the improved reception prevents it.

There are even routers that connect to the cellular broadband service while providing normal wifi services to your network. So you could use a common wifi adapter to connect to the cellular router, which would then connect to the cellular broadband service on behalf of your wireless clients.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/ctr350-mobile-broad...

(note, that’s just one model, intended mostly for travel purposes, they have many more depending on your needs)

This is a more flexibility solution since you can place the router in a more ideal location for cellular reception. And you can just use your laptop’s wireless adapter to connect to the router (less clutter). And it can now be easily shared w/ other wireless users. In contrast, the use of the Cricket USB modem puts you at the mercy of where the laptop happens to be, which often makes indoor cellular reception more difficult.

I have no idea if a cellular router would be compatible w/ Cricket (can’t imagine it wouldn’t, but I’m not familiar w/ the Cricket service and whether they REQUIRE you use their devices), but it would (imo) be a better home/office based solution. You might then leave the Cricket USB modem for use while on the road (where reception is probably less of an issue). Or dump the Cricket USB modem and just carry the router w/ you at all times.

Anyway, it's hard to specific since I don't have the total picture here of how you're using 3G broadband, whether strictly on the road, at the home or the office, both, if it's a problem all the time, some of the time, etc., all of which could impact what would be the best solution.
m
l
!