Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why can't I play a DVD that I burned on my laptop in a DVD player?

Last response: in Components
April 13, 2011 3:46:38 PM

I can burn a DVD on my computer and play a video but when I insert the DVD into a SONY DVD player to watch on a TV the error message says no video/audio. My DVD on my computer is a Slimtype BD E DS4E1S SATA cdROM device. Why can't I burn DVD's that will play in my DVD player?
April 13, 2011 4:52:59 PM

What program are you using to burn?

Score
April 13, 2011 4:56:46 PM

Depends how you burned it.. Somehow you would have writed the contents in a manner which would have been incompatible with your DVD player standards.. Which software do you use for burning..? It'll be also helpful if you could just give an example as to how you burned the contents..
Score
Related resources
April 13, 2011 5:45:28 PM

king smp said:
What program are you using to burn?

I have used three different programs and they all do the same thing.....One is Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 (that was bundled with my laptop when purchased) One is Honestech VHS to DVD program and the last is Microsoft Windows DVD maker. The project I am doing is I had old VHS tapes and purchased a program called Diamond One Touch Video Capture. I played the VHS tapes on my camcorder and with this software was able to transfer it to digital format. Then I wanted to burn it to a DVD for future playing. All the above DVD programs will copy the .mpg files to DVD and it will play on my computer DVD player. When I took the same DVD and put it in my SONY DVD player to view on the TV the SONY DVD player says no video/audio. What am I doing wrong?
Score
April 13, 2011 5:47:50 PM

Emperus said:
Depends how you burned it.. Somehow you would have writed the contents in a manner which would have been incompatible with your DVD player standards.. Which software do you use for burning..? It'll be also helpful if you could just give an example as to how you burned the contents..

I have used three different programs and they all do the same thing.....One is Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 (that was bundled with my laptop when purchased) One is Honestech VHS to DVD program and the last is Microsoft Windows DVD maker. The project I am doing is I had old VHS tapes and purchased a program called Diamond One Touch Video Capture. I played the VHS tapes on my camcorder and with this software was able to transfer it to digital format. Then I wanted to burn it to a DVD for future playing. All the above DVD programs will copy the .mpg files to DVD and it will play on my computer DVD player. When I took the same DVD and put it in my SONY DVD player to view on the TV the SONY DVD player says no video/audio. What am I doing wrong?
Score
April 13, 2011 5:51:12 PM

1) home dvd players prefer DVD+R as a general rule
2) not all home DVD players are capable of playing burnt disks
try a different DVD player
3) some home dvd players might not like a brand of DVDs try another brand
4) I have burning quite a few years and
I use DVDFlick which is free and is really good IMHO

this is link to DVD Flick
http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

Score
April 13, 2011 7:07:41 PM

Try IMGBURN.. It automatically detects the type of media being burnt and sets parameters according to it.. For example, while burning multiple .avi files, it automatically makes it a divx disc which can then be played on any DVD player.. Atleast tht's the way it works for me.. You can download it from here -

www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Score
April 13, 2011 7:15:46 PM

You're disk could be a DVD-R, some DVD players can't play them and can only use DVD+R.
The same goes for re-writeable discs.
Score
April 13, 2011 8:12:35 PM

If my DVD drive type is a Slimtype BD E DS4E1S SATA CdROM Device and does not say DVD±R/RW drive would this make a difference? I'm wondering if my DVD drive is only readable because it says CdROM and not DVD R/RW.
Score
April 14, 2011 12:43:12 AM

janetjensen said:
If my DVD drive type is a Slimtype BD E DS4E1S SATA CdROM Device and does not say DVD±R/RW drive would this make a difference? I'm wondering if my DVD drive is only readable because it says CdROM and not DVD R/RW.

I believe this drive may not be able to read DVD/RW.
Score
April 14, 2011 12:59:46 AM

^^^

The Slimtype BD E DS4E1S is a Blu-Ray drive.
Score
April 14, 2011 1:04:27 AM

janetjensen said:
I can burn a DVD on my computer and play a video but when I insert the DVD into a SONY DVD player to watch on a TV the error message says no video/audio.

DVD+R media is the preferred blank media for standalone DVD player, but modern DVD players should also be able handle DVD-R media.

Always burn the DVD at the slowest speed; 2.4x or 4x depending on the drive even if the disc is rated for faster burns. Faster burns have more write errors. While a DVD drive in a computer is able to read the burnt DVD, many standalone DVD player will have problems if the DVD is burnt too fast.
Score
April 14, 2011 2:07:47 AM

jaguarskx said:
^^^

The Slimtype BD E DS4E1S is a Blu-Ray drive.

Does that mean I can't burn DVD's that will play in a DVD player?
Score
April 14, 2011 2:13:24 AM

janetjensen said:

looked up your dvd drive
it is bluray dvd-rw
nice drive
probably in an Acer notebook
more than capable of burning disks

Really try DVD FLick
as I suggested

Use a DVD+R

DVDflick while not the most powerful is very good and EASY to use
Deals with many different formats

I burn MANY dvds
I go through burners on a regular basis
I buy a few at a time LOL
Score
April 14, 2011 2:13:58 AM

jaguarskx said:
DVD+R media is the preferred blank media for standalone DVD player, but modern DVD players should also be able handle DVD-R media.

Always burn the DVD at the slowest speed; 2.4x or 4x depending on the drive even if the disc is rated for faster burns. Faster burns have more write errors. While a DVD drive in a computer is able to read the burnt DVD, many standalone DVD player will have problems if the DVD is burnt too fast.

+1 very true
Score
April 14, 2011 2:17:24 AM

janetjensen said:
Does that mean I can't burn DVD's that will play in a DVD player?

blu ray is a high definition dvd drive

you will have no problems burning dvd movies

really make sure you have Dvd+r
use dvd flick

dvd flick is EASY to use

I posted the link earlier in post

also try one of the movies you burnt in a different dvd player

also be aware there is NTSC format -north americas
and PAL format (most of the rest of the world)

and some older dvd players have trouble doing one or the other
though most newer ones will play both
Score
May 25, 2011 6:53:01 PM

Emperus said:
Try IMGBURN.. It automatically detects the type of media being burnt and sets parameters according to it.. For example, while burning multiple .avi files, it automatically makes it a divx disc which can then be played on any DVD player.. Atleast tht's the way it works for me.. You can download it from here -

www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

that is where i have burnt my dvd from and im having the same problem.....its bin burnt to the disc but wont let me play it on my dvd player......imgburn???????
Score
May 25, 2011 7:12:23 PM

Use DVD Flick -Free!
http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

simply add your movie
have blank DVD+R disc NOT DVD-R in drive
click create DVD

I have used it a thousand times!!!
It is the simplest way to make a DVD for home players

Also try more than one DVD home player
some wont play computer burned discs!!!!

I Burn Movies Constantly!!!

DVD Flick!!!!!!!
Score
!