Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500 build mAtx or Atx?

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2011 10:40:51 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: $500AU for CPU,Mobo,RAM this month, then $500AU GPU,SDD,Cooling

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Sc2,Civ5,Portal), Programming and Web Development

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Harddrives

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MSY, PCCGear

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences:
CPU:i5-2500 SB
Mobo: What are the best suggested mobos for i5? Really interested in a smaller style box, maybe even mAtx as my current box is quite large, cumbersome, plastic rubbish, it was a gift.
Ram: 4gig(2x2) ram G.Skill?
GPU: Preferably NVidia, will be getting this next month
Overclocking: Maybe (is it worth it?)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: What's suggested? My current monitor is an LG 1440x900. Would like to upgrade to dual monitors in 6 months, maybe I'll post again then

Additional Comments: This will be a general rig but will be in my room so as silent as possible. I would like it to be small and not bling, the Fractal R3 case seems nice. I will go and check out some cases this week, but wondering if anyone notices a significant difference between the mAtx and Atx, and if it limits you. I don't care about overcloking, Im a programmer who knows next to nothing about hardware.

More about : 2500 build matx atx

Best solution

January 18, 2011 5:32:35 PM

i5 2500 is probably the best cpu in terms of features & price. If you don't game at all, you can use the gfx built into the cpu. However, you must pair it with a compatible mobo like H67 that has video outs. All of them are matx. I have yet to see a atx H67 mobo. You can throw in a PCI-E gpu for the 2nd monitor down the road. Theoretically, it will support 3 monitors at the same time. 2 from the discreet gpu.

If you prefer P67, you must buy a discreet gpu right away. It'll be a waste of money if you don't game. The Intel integrated graphics are getting better. It can handle HD video playback & some very light gaming at low res.

The Fractal R3 supports mini ITX, mATX & ATX. It's all in one. I like the sideway drivebays. No need to remove mobo or front panel to install a new hard disk. Holes for cable management, but no big deal since it doesn't have a side window. Looks like Antec 18x which was one of the best cases.

With cpu, mobo, ram & case, I'm at $541.00 AU before tax & shipping:

http://www.pccasegear.com
--
AVAILABILITY PRICE QTY TOTAL
Intel Core i5 2500 Intel Core i5 2500
In stock $229.00 $229.00
Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H Motherboard
In stock $124.00 $124.00
Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
In stock $49.00 $49.00
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Fractal Design Define R3 Black
In stock $139.00 $139.00

Sub-Total: $541.00
--
February 2, 2011 8:45:52 AM

Best answer selected by kedixed.
m
l
!